Stainburn - TODAY!!!

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
I looked through 5 pages of rides and didn't find anything on Stainburn.

I'm off today for a few hours and can not wait! I'll take some pictures of stuff so you guys can check it out, if anyone else is going today I'll see you there! I'll be there at about 9.30-10.00-ish.

It was the first proper trail centre/place the I went to when I got a decent bike - I went there on the old GT Avalanche, with a knackered 80/100MM travel fork. Now I've got a bit more experience and a much better bike, it should be a bit more enjoyable!

Comments

• Well that was an eye opener! Too wet to really blast round the trails, but I did the red twice and the black once. Here are some pics if anyone is interested,

At the start of both red and black - red goes off the the right, black to the left.

04112009040.jpg

First corner into the red trail. This also looks across the site, you are looking at the downhill run there, which was fantastic, can't wait for that in the dry!

04112009041.jpg

This is behind me as I am entering the forest at the start of the black run... AND.......

04112009044.jpg

.....this is in front of me, same spot - It was very dark in there today, a miserable day

04112009043.jpg

This is a small rock garden on the red route, I nailed this the second time round.

04112009045.jpg

Start of the DH, you can just make out a jump, under all the leaves there!

04112009046.jpg

Another one of the jumps on the DH route, this one throws you straight into a left corner, which is interesting!

04112009047.jpg

These are some of the excellent berms that are on offer, slicing through the trees

04112009048.jpg

This is another berm, quite a big one, you fly round it and then are presented with some quite tricky rocks. I was thinking about the flow you get on trails, and the rocks kind of interrupt the flow, they are so big you can't just bound over them (or at least I couldn't on the H/T)

04112009049.jpg

This is a massive boulder on the DH - Its possibly the biggest thing I have ever looked at dropping off on the bike, but safe to say I didn't! 'tis difficult to see how high it is inthe picture but it is a big big drop.

04112009050-1.jpg

So Stainburn was great - The DH has really been worked on and the features on the black route, well they are still there and are still as challenging and enjoyable as ever
  • Stainburn is dope. Haven't been since they put the new DH run in but will try to check it out sometime next year. There were some good pics of that HUUUUGE boulder on the Singletraction website but they've gone. What did you think of "the Slab" on the black run? I'd been warned about it before I went but then rode it without realising what it was and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • looks great fun, seen it on youtube a few times too. Been only 70miles of so from it, i should really get round to going for the day!
    Yorkshire Man living in Somerset
    http://twitter.com/Mattharperbikin
  • There quite a lot, is almost on my doorstep... the descent line is cool, dont drop off the rock just rip, so much smoother..... ..
    Glad ya liked it tho.
    I've never hurt myself falling off. It'e the damn floor that hurts!!!!
  • Looks good GT. Like you Nick Dastardly I've not been since theydid the DH run and I thought just the same about "the Slab". I'm not sure how easy it would be in the wet though.
  • Stainburn is dope. Haven't been since they put the new DH run in but will try to check it out sometime next year. There were some good pics of that HUUUUGE boulder on the Singletraction website but they've gone. What did you think of "the Slab" on the black run? I'd been warned about it before I went but then rode it without realising what it was and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about.

Seen the slab before on our earlier visits last year - We didn't tackle it then, probably due to not being confident and not really having the right bikes to do it (not to mention no pads)
    It would have been suicide in the wet, so I politely declined.

The DH is great, you would love it, especially on a F/S bike.
  • i-drive
    i-drive Posts: 527
    oh some good pics there mate.the new improvements are exellent allthough best avoided in the wet stainburn.

there is also some decent stuf across rom the car park with new stuff to come i even nailed the skinny acros from the carpark for the first time the other week.

the double diamond black is allways dark & gloomy & the first slab drop is a real test.
    the ns is all ridable as is the seesaw but it is a real test of nerve & while it is very short & compact it is a good place to hone your skills.

allthough i would avoid going on your own for the first time.

the new skinnys are also good fun & i love how they have chisled the wood or grip genius.
  • I'm off again today - Hoping it won't be too wet, it looks dry-ish outside now, and like its clearing up.

I read on the singletraction website that the FC are doing a load of forest clearing over t' road in the Norwood forest part, so they say you can't access it.

Mind you I have enough fun on the red route and the downhill bit.
  • I read a few days ago that there is suposed to be lots of clearfelling work happening this week and the next few so the red route and the DH would be closed off, did you see any signs of work or felling?
    Dave
  • There did seem to be quite a lot going on, I saw loads of logs over the road!

Nothing going on on the car-park side of the trails though.

I managed the red route 3 times today, I was knackered! I think it was harder than usual because it was so windy!