Wheel jigs

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Does anyone have any recommendations? Saw a Parktools model for £70-odd.

I'm thinking about building my own wheels, going on on a wheel building course etc.

Cheers
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would say get the Wheel pro wheel building Book Download only but has some good info on making your own tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjcp
    Cheers, Nick.

(Does a big "W" for "Workshop" go up over Sweden when someone posts? Like the Bat sign going up over Gotham. :) )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've got a Pedros one which I really like.

Before that I made one out of wood. Really quite easy if you're even modestly handy with tools and cheap too.
  • cjcp
    I've got a Pedros one which I really like.

Cheers.
    Before that I made one out of wood. Really quite easy if you're even modestly handy with tools and cheap too.

:lol: I am worse than useless.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    cjcp wrote:

:lol: I am worse than useless.

In that case good luck. :wink:

and really do get the wheel pro book. as it is about the best for explaining how to put a wheel together well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've got a Pedros one which I really like.

Did Pedro quit making them? They are not on their web site. I have one and it does a fine job.

Dennis Noward
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Built mine out of some bits of alloy and an external micrometer - some welding an it is light as a feather and accurate!! However, I would recommend buying one as getting the frame true is a bitch..,,,,
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I have a Minoura Workman Pro, it only arrived today so my comments so far are limited to the fact that it's built to a much higher standard than I anticipated. I spent a lot of time working out what I wanted, I usually buy Park tools but the TS8 which is in the same price bracket is quite basic and you need to flip the wheel to check dishing.
    The Minoura comes with a wheel dishing tool, yes you could make your own, but give me a break :roll: , but it does the job and was essentially a free bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Dave.
  • cjcp
    Ok chaps, how long does it take you to build one wheel?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    cjcp wrote:

first one? to a usable standard. a week or so. :wink:
  • cjcp
    nicklouse wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

first one? to a usable standard. a week or so. :wink:

:lol: With me, very probable.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

Without rushing I'll usually lace it one evening and true it the next. About four hours all told.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    cjcp wrote:

Jamey, from this forum, visited my place today and built his first wheel in about 4 hours, at a very leisurely pace. See my post on the road gear topic -

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12593541
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    It's all true.

And now I've got another couple of hundred quid's worth of tools I want :)
  • cjcp
    robbarker wrote:
    Jamey, from this forum, visited my place today

Is this this the Ultimate Bike Shed with the family home attached to it? :)

Already dropped the hint to the good lady about a jig i.e. leaving a picture up on the computer screen most of Sunday saying "hmm, wouldn't mind one of those".

Thanks, folks.

P.S. Rob - glad to say that I shall be back in God's Country this weekend for the rugby. First time for a while. I expect it will start raining after the tolls.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • robbarker
    cjcp wrote:
    robbarker wrote:
    Jamey, from this forum, visited my place today

Is this this the Ultimate Bike Shed with the family home attached to it? :)

Already dropped the hint to the good lady about a jig i.e. leaving a picture up on the computer screen most of Sunday saying "hmm, wouldn't mind one of those".

Thanks, folks.

P.S. Rob - glad to say that I shall be back in God's Country this weekend for the rugby. First time for a while. I expect it will start raining after the tolls.

Enjoy the game - I shall be playing (2nd XV, so no free afternoon on international days :( ) on Saturday afternoon but already have it cued up on the Sky + box. I'll be at the stadium for the All Blacks..

Good luck with the truing stand strategy too.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    After building my first wheel yesterday (and in such a well-equipped workshop to boot) I keep thinking about what tools to buy and the more I think, the more confused I get.

If I build a good wheel it should look after itself for a couple of years and I probably won't need to use those expensive tools again for quite some time.

But in order to build a good wheel it's worth having good tools.

I'm thinking I might save money on the stand and dishing gauge by going for that Minoura setup and then splashing out on the Park tension meter, perhaps.

Whaddya reckon?
  • robbarker
    Any truing stand is better than no truing stand, but now that you've used the TS2 it will be tough making do with anything else!

At least following Roger Musson's procedure is a damn sight less confusing than the new Bikeradar workshop article on lacing a wheel - talk about making life difficult for yourself! I may have to do a step-by-step photo feature for the forum!