Advise on a family freindly cycle route required please

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited November 2008 in Routes
We are thinking of going away for a short break between Christmas and the New Year and would ideally like somewhere in this country where we can take our bikes and cycle off road.

There would be my wife, my eldest daughter who is 8 years, my youngest daughter who is 4 years (will be on the back of my bike) and myself.

We were originally thinking of the Lake District, i have been to the Lakes on many occasions and climbed Scarfell Pike in the Winter and also Skiddaw, and Ben Nevis in Fort William Scotland.

However, I’ve read mixed reviews regarding the Lakes and cycling, the tourist association seem to be pushing it with routes etc., on line, but I’ve also read other reports that the Lakes aren't suitable for cycling, as the roads are very narrow and what cycle lanes they do have are driven on by motorists, and off road the hills that do have trails are mostly flagstone and not suitable for bikes, which from my experience of mountaineering in the area is probably true.

So, my question is….is the Lakes suitable, and if so which areas/routes would be suitable for my family bearing in mind our children.

And if not the Lakes, then where else in the UK?

Ratty2K – you are responsible for putting this idea into my head :D after I browsed your photos the other evening, showed my Mrs and she really likes the scenery and idea of cycling. :D

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    The Peak district has some good converted railway lines (Tiisington and High peak trails to name but two). Not exactly techinically demanding (flat and smooth) but you get to see some varied scenary. There are also bridleways that can be used to link them up to add some variety.

The Lakes is pretty hardwork to be honest.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • The Lakes are extremely suitable for mountain biking, but not so much for family routes. I think people who make the sort of comment that you've heard, just don't know what bikes are capable of. I've ridden a reasonable amount in the lakes - the BW from Helvellyn down past Grizedale Tarn is rideable, and great fun, but definitely NOT for families! It would be graded black if it'd been built in a trail centre.

Anyway, to be totally on the safe side, you could go for purpose built trails which are graded. I'd recommend Kirroughtree & Dalbeattie, which have trails from green upwards, green being the easiest, like ski grading. Green is suitable for everyone, the blue is good fun but nothing to catch you out, the red is a bit much for kids, although it depends on the child. The grading relates to technical difficulty and distance.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Grizedale forest has lots of hilly but suitable off road routes - waymarked fire tracks. There are quiet B roads up there too - Finsthwaite etc . The area around Milnthorpe & Silverdale (Border between North Lancs & Cumbria) is excellent for that kind of on road activity too. The weather is often better around Morecambe Bay than the Lakes and the roads can be quieter. Plus it's very pretty & the lakes is in easy reach if the the weathers good.

Silverdale is a very pretty village.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    HI Guys, this is the site i came accross which said the Lakes isn't anygood for cycling.....

http://www.cavinguk.co.uk/cycling/trips/?areaid=lakes

The railway lines in the Peak District sounds quite nice, i take it they've removed the actual lines and wooden slats?

I shall also take a look at Kirroughtree & Dalbeattie tonight also Grizedale forest.

We will need to book B & B shortly so will have to move fast as they are quickly filling up!

If anybody else has any other suggestions then please fire away! :D
  • For cycling in Derbyshire and the Peaks I use this site for routes:

http://www.cressbrook.co.uk/outdoors/cycling.php

and this for the trails that Stumpyjon recommended:

http://www.visitderbyshire.co.uk/fa_cycling.ihtml
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Soni wrote:
    HI Guys, this is the site i came accross which said the Lakes isn't anygood for cycling.....

http://www.cavinguk.co.uk/cycling/trips/?areaid=lakes

The railway lines in the Peak District sounds quite nice, i take it they've removed the actual lines and wooden slats?

Well that's what you get when you ask a bloke called Tarquin who's into caving for advise on cycling in the Lake District!! What a tool (Tarkers, not you :D) ! Oi, Tarquin, I'm a cyclist and I don't care what you say, the Yorkshire Dales are absolutely NO GOOD for caving!!

Seriously though I would say that Grizedale is by far the best bet for what you're looking for. It's also pretty sheltered in the valleys so even if the weather does take a turn for the worse (which it will) you can still knock some fun out of it!

The other thing to bear in mind is that this area is also Beatrix Potter country - if the weather's really foul and the kids don't want to go riding, take them to Hill Top Farm at Sawrey and introduce them to Peter Rabbit and the gang!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic