NYC marathon - Roche / Raisin / Smith

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited November 2008 in Pro race
Stephen Roche - 4.21:09

Saul Raisin - 4.27:10

Brian Smith - 4.43:58

Anyone remember what times Armstrong and Jaja did? And Aldag did a marathon too, but it wasn't NYC.

Comments

• moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    Stephen Roche - 4.21:09

Saul Raisin - 4.27:10

Brian Smith - 4.43:58

Anyone remember what times Armstrong and Jaja did? And Aldag did a marathon too, but it wasn't NYC.

Wonder how long it will take for someone to accuse LA of gaining his time by the use of PEDs

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Armstrong Presented by Shire Pharmaceuticals did it just under 3 hours first attempt.

Jaja did 2:55
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    Armstrong Presented by Shire Pharmaceuticals did it just under 3 hours first attempt.

Jaja did 2:55

Ah but he changed supplier after that and then did it 2 46

cheers
    MG
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Apparently he (LA) reckons he can go 2:30.

Amazed at Roche's time - I always thought he looked a bit tubby when he was on Eurosport (I'm being polite here).

He just needs a sponsorship from Roche Pharmaceuticals now...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Meh, Alez Zanardi did the NY Marathon last year finishing 4th in jsut over1hrs 33 not bad for a first handcycle race.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/05/sport ... html?fta=y
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • I see the golden girl crushed the field again now that she is well away from the olympics and it's testing environment. :)
    Dan
  • hmmm of all the athletes out there, I think she's one of the ones i'd be least suspicious of. Falling into the "physical freak" category rather than anything else.

That and waving hand scrawled banners at known cheats hardly encourages people not to rat you out if you're up to it too does it?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I see the golden girl crushed the field again now that she is well away from the olympics and it's testing environment. :)

Of course her Olympics performance had nothing to do with her recovering from a stress fracture in the spine just after having her baby, and then another stress fracture in her leg.
  • The banner was before she met her husband.
    Dan
  • hammerite
    The banner was before she met her husband.

are you sure? :?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/2001/world_athletics/1483621.stm
  • The banner was before she met her husband.
    Not according to her autobiography.
  • 'hurdler' that is utter rubbish
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    4.21 for a Tubby Roche is pretty much what you'd expect - I mean 4.21 isn't exactly quick for a world class endurance athlete - my missus does 3.50 odd !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • DaveyL
    He was a world-class endurance athlete 20 years ago!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Last time I saw Roche was at the PruTour - he was very interested in the chips then.

Flatty - I think you're talking complete rubbish. China and Athens would never have suited her. Maybe the climate in London 2012 will suit her.

And apparently she married thingy in 2000 - and she was protesting in 2001 against the EPO doper.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,157
    I saw Roche just after he beat me for 5 minutes in the GF Giro di Lombardia just over two weeks ago. He may not be as skinny as he was 20 years ago but he definitely isn't fat.
  • anyone got any pics of Roche in the marathon?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Try here : http://www.brightroom.com/view_event.asp?EVENTID=34924

in a few days time = runner 32805
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    I saw Roche just after he beat me for 5 minutes in the GF Giro di Lombardia just over two weeks ago. He may not be as skinny as he was 20 years ago but he definitely isn't fat.

He does look a bit portly in the Eurosport studio, either that or he is wearing shirts two sizes too small for him.

cheers
    MG
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Ramanujan wrote:
    anyone got any pics of Roche in the marathon?

Pre-race photo

http://www.geoffthomasfoundation.org/gt ... &Itemid=28
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • moray_gub
    LangerDan wrote:
    Ramanujan wrote:
    anyone got any pics of Roche in the marathon?

Pre-race photo

http://www.geoffthomasfoundation.org/gt ... &Itemid=28

Who ate all the pies.........who ate all the pies...........you fat b...........you fat b ........who ate all the pies :-)

cheers
    MG
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    RESPECT!

Both myself and Stephen were carrying injury after only 3 months training. Heart and lungs are good but impact problems slowed us both. What an experience. Once in a lifetime experience to run the best marathon in the world with a cycling legend. The only ones that can really comment on Stephen's looks or performance must have finished a marathon themselves.

www.justgiving.com/gtf-briansmith
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Who ate all the pies.........who ate all the pies...........you fat b...........you fat b ........who ate all the pies :-)
    Don't give up the day job will you. :roll:

Tw*t.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Don't give up the day job will you. :roll:

Tw*t.

Why if it isnt Andy '' i rode the Gran Fondo Giro DI Lombardia you know and rubbed shoulders with Stephen Roche you know and i am the man''P............so who else did you rub shoulders with Mr Big shot ?

MG
  • moray_gub
    BrianS wrote:
    RESPECT!

Both myself and Stephen were carrying injury after only 3 months training. Heart and lungs are good but impact problems slowed us both. What an experience. Once in a lifetime experience to run the best marathon in the world with a cycling legend. The only ones that can really comment on Stephen's looks or performance must have finished a marathon themselves.

www.justgiving.com/gtf-briansmith

Is this a forum rule that you cant comment on something unless you have done it yourself ?

MG
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Why if it isnt Andy '' i rode the Gran Fondo Giro DI Lombardia you know and rubbed shoulders with Stephen Roche you know and i am the man''P............so who else did you rub shoulders with Mr Big shot ?

MG
    I refer you to my previous comment.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

MG
    I refer you to my previous comment.

Sure you do , what ye up today anyway going for a spin with Lance or maybe turn a few wheels with Miguel ?......

p*ssy

MG
  • DaveyL
    I do feel quite bad about commenting on Roche now - especially since I, and most everyone else on the thread (apart from Brian obviously), has not really mentioned the Geoff Thomas and Saul Raisin angle. Sackcloth and ashes, as Duffers would say.

Let's hope Saul makes his goal of getting to Ironman Hawaii next year.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • hammerite
    I have to say that I thought the times may have been quicker, but goes to show the toll running and training for a marathon can take on your legs (I've never had training for a marathon go smoothly without injury).

It's also heartening to all of us mortals that once super fit legends in one sport are like anyone else in another sport. I have to say that I always find it quite frustrating when people (not necessarily those who have competed to a high level in another sport) decide to give a crack at another sport as a "fun" challenge and manage to make it look easy!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    hammerite wrote:
    I have to say that I always find it quite frustrating when people (not necessarily those who have competed to a high level in another sport) decide to give a crack at another sport as a "fun" challenge and manage to make it look easy!
    :oops: