Where are the best places to go near Doncaster?

BenitoCarbone
BenitoCarbone Posts: 14
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Cheers in advance

Comments

• Derbyshire should only be 50 mins. Or why not try Steetleys Quarry if you fancy some freeridin.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Sherwood Pines, only 20 miles away straight down A1 then A614.

Article on it in latest (December) mbr mag
  • Wharncliffe forest/trails in Sheffield. 22 miles from Doncaster. Fantastic place.
  • Thanks for the replies
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    When I was at college in High Melton about ten years ago, I used to ride over High Melton golf course and then drop down to the side of the river Don, alongside upstream through the little bridge by the pub (called the Bridge I think) across and along the southern bank passed a disused quarry (used by lots of motorbike trials types then) and carry on, right next to the river bank until it reached an old railway bridge - across that and back to the north bank. It was superb except after heavy rain when it was very boggy and the river would cover the path in some places...
    Dunno if the paths are still there? :roll:
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Sandal Beat woods are really good if you go around the edges! I start by going left from the car park and go stick too the edges most of the way. I've made myself a regular trail that takes me round the woods, over the bridge, on top of the old quarry thing, little detour onto the 'dippers' (famously know round these parts!) for a few jumps then along the edges of the wood back into the main car park from the other side that you start from.

Takes me about 30 mins at a fast pace to go round it all, speedo tells me its just over 8 miles but I cut out the big quarry hill thing if I'm feeling lazy because its loads of up hill pedaling on a crap surface!

I must have been round there a good few hundred times this year!

High melton woods and denaby nature reserve are good too. You can go through the nature reserve up past the old earth centre on the outskirts of conisborough and follow the path down to the side of the river in sprotborough and come out near he boat in.

Or start on the trans-pennine way at york road and ride along past cusworth hall and go left and along the river to hexthorpe jump track if its not too muddy!!

There isn't much in donny I don't think, I've looked everywhere!!! Wharncliffe is really good to in Sheff but personally Sherwood pines is my favorite if you can find the black routes, there excellent!!!!!

I'm rambling now so i'll stop!!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!