V Brakes

UnworthyPapaLazaru
UnworthyPapaLazaru Posts: 422
edited November 2008 in The workshop
I replaced the pads on my v-brakes today. My old pads were down to the bare minimum but I actually liked the spongy feel. Now that I have the new pads on the brakes are tight. On the side where the noodle attaches the brake is touching the rim. On the other side the is plently of clearance. How can I balance this up? Is it a barel adjustment or is the the spring tension screw?
Cannondale F500
Peugeot Fixed Gear
Specialized Hardrock
Baordman Team Carbon
Haro Freestyler Sport 1984
Coming Soon...Canyon Nerve AM 7.0

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    down by the pivot there is a screw.

on the close pad screw the screw in to add tension.

this will pull the other pad closer and move the close pad away from the rim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    down by the pivot there is a screw.

on the close pad screw the screw in to add tension.

this will pull the other pad closer and move the close pad away from the rim.

Cheers Nicklouse, prompt as ever, i'll away and give that a try now.
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon
  • nicklouse
    only cause i have not hit the pubs yet....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • and usually it is best to balance up by easing the tension on the other side (ie slackening the screw)

If your brakes are quite old and basic, you may find your brakes do not have an adjustment screw. these are adjusted by loosening the brake arm at the boss, pulling the whole unit forward till the foot of the opening spring pulls out of the hole. you put the spring route into a higher hole on the brake boss to increase the tension, or a lower hole to reduce it. life is simpler if you have an adjustment screw.
  • nicklouse
    but a ridder on that.

Most V brakes like more tension than less.

so reducing the tension could leave poorly working brakes.
  • And what I didnt mention...

My old pads were so worn that my out of true wheel wasnt noticeable (I have a broken spoke) but with the new pads it is. I need the wheel fixed to get this problem sorted.

Cheers and enjoy the pub!
    Cannondale F500
    Peugeot Fixed Gear
    Specialized Hardrock
    Baordman Team Carbon