Lemond Reno

fred_dillon
fred_dillon Posts: 27
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi newbe looking for first "real" bike, lots of plugs for Trek, Specialized, and Giant, but nothing on Lemond, the Reno looks a decent proposition, any thoughts out there? :):)

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I think they get reasonable reviews but they are rare. They were Treks - different design/geometry/paint/branding, but Bontrager (Trek) components/finishing kit, but Trek severed their relationship with Lemond earlier in the year (Trek upset at Lemond's words about Armstrong), I don't know if there is anyone building them right now, and they may disappear for good - might offer you some rarity value (or maybe a discount price at the moment). I gather Trek will honour warranties (if that amounts to much, I don't know).
  • ram038
    ram038 Posts: 187
    Hi newbe looking for first "real" bike, lots of plugs for Trek, Specialized, and Giant, but nothing on Lemond, the Reno looks a decent proposition, any thoughts out there? :):)

I've had the Reno , 2007 I think , its the blue livery one, for just over a year now. I can't compare with other bikes butI have had no problems with it and i have covered 1500 miles in that year. I love it and think it is very good value for money for someoene starting out. i am though I am upgrading bike as my company is now with the C2W scheme.
  • Thanks for the info, I guess if they are not being made anymore getting one, if anything goes wrong should not be an issue in 1st year.
    I will keep my eyes open for a bargin :wink:
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    alfablue wrote:
    I think they get reasonable reviews but they are rare. They were Treks - different design/geometry/paint/branding, but Bontrager (Trek) components/finishing kit, but Trek severed their relationship with Lemond earlier in the year (Trek upset at Lemond's words about Armstrong), I don't know if there is anyone building them right now, and they may disappear for good - might offer you some rarity value (or maybe a discount price at the moment). I gather Trek will honour warranties (if that amounts to much, I don't know).

Lemond is a range of bikes that trek have invested in since buying out greg lemond around 1995 when near bankrupt. You are right that Trek have severed their relationship with Greg Lemond but they are still the owners and producers of Lemond bicycles . They are considering reducing the production of some models but not stopping production altogether - AFAIK.

the quote below is taken from an interview with John Burke, President of Trek
    4/8/2008-

And just three days ago I asked what the future status of LeMond is, since I've openly questioned the wisdom of having a line whose namesake and spokesperson is so intensely negative about the current cycling scene (it definitely costs me sales). And I was told that LeMond remains a part of the Trek family and will continue.

Going back to the OP the Reno has a quality comfortable aluminium frame that is only relatively cheap due to its group set.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I rented a LeMond reno on holiday in Lanzarotte; It was very nice.

I also own a LeMond Zurich; even better :D

Trek still support the bikes and I am very happy with mine; you don't see many around ... dunno if that is a good or bad thing ...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    feel wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Lemond is a range of bikes that trek have invested in since buying out greg lemond around 1995 when near bankrupt. You are right that Trek have severed their relationship with Greg Lemond but they are still the owners and producers of Lemond bicycles . They are considering reducing the production of some models but not stopping production altogether - AFAIK.

the quote below is taken from an interview with John Burke, President of Trek
    4/8/2008-

And just three days ago I asked what the future status of LeMond is, since I've openly questioned the wisdom of having a line whose namesake and spokesperson is so intensely negative about the current cycling scene (it definitely costs me sales). And I was told that LeMond remains a part of the Trek family and will continue.

Going back to the OP the Reno has a quality comfortable aluminium frame that is only relatively cheap due to its group set.
    Ah, interesting, I took the disappearance of the LeMond website as an ominous sign, but there do seem to be some dealers advertising them, and there are some 2009 models.
  • Odd they took the site down :?
  • feel
    Odd they took the site down :?

not if greg lemond was involved with it (just guessing)
  • It's owned by TRek

Registrant:
    Domain Administrator
    Trek Bicycle Corporation
    801 West Madison Street
    Waterloo WI 53594
    US
    internet_domains@trekbikes.com +1.9204782191 Fax: -

Domain Name: lemondbikes.com

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
    Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
    Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
    Domain Administrator
    Trek Bicycle Corporation
    801 West Madison Street
    Waterloo WI 53594
    US
    Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    Domain Administrator
    Trek Bicycle Corporation
    801 West Madison Street
    Waterloo WI 53594
    US

Created on..............: 1996-11-10.
    Expires on..............: 2011-11-09.
    Record last updated on..: 2008-06-15.

Domain servers in listed order:
  • feel
    It's owned by TRek

:

That is what i said five posts ago

"Trek ... are still the owners and producers of Lemond bicycles" :|
  • feel wrote:
    It's owned by TRek

:

That is what i said five posts ago

"Trek ... are still the owners and producers of Lemond bicycles" :|

Yes we know that; but it didn't necessarily follow that LeMond hadn't retained the domain that featured his name.

LeMond bikes were not always owned by Trek.

Anyway; seems like the end of Trek's interest in the LeMond brand.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Lemond Bikes are superb

I have a carbon Victoire and Fillmore, my brother has a carbon and titanium Tete de Course and we also still have my dad's Titanium Arrivee.

Its safe to say we like Lemond bikes :D

I do like the rarity of them and i hope that they do continue although have heard differing rumours about Lemond Bikes future.

Strange the website was brought down though.

Cheers
    Fraser
  • feel
    feel wrote:

Anyway; seems like the end of Trek's interest in the LeMond brand.

:?

Not according to John Burke, the president of Trek, In august of this year, unless you have heard something more recent. They spent huge amounts developing and advertising the carbon fibre min/max range it would not make sense to waste all that just because it is an eponymous range.
  • You'd have thought so ... but I emailed Trek because I wanted a copy of the geometry of my frame for reference (which was on the lemondbikes.com website) when buying my next bike and when I asked why the site had been removed I got the response...

"Lemond Bikes are not continuing for 2009 hence the website has been switched off."
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    You'd have thought so ... but I emailed Trek because I wanted a copy of the geometry of my frame for reference (which was on the lemondbikes.com website) when buying my next bike and when I asked why the site had been removed I got the response...

Did they provide it?

The archive was really useful

Cheers
    Fraser
  • fraz167 wrote:
    You'd have thought so ... but I emailed Trek because I wanted a copy of the geometry of my frame for reference (which was on the lemondbikes.com website) when buying my next bike and when I asked why the site had been removed I got the response...

Did they provide it?

The archive was really useful

Cheers
    Fraser

Not yet :cry:
  • feel

"Lemond Bikes are not continuing for 2009 hence the website has been switched off."

the plot thickens - i have seen a few adverts for 2009 lemond models but not many , maybe they are just what is left of stock that had not been painted up for 2008?

Think i might ask my LBS (who is a lemond dealer) if he knows anything?
  • The nice man from Trek has emailed me a scan of the brochure so I now have a record of the geo's.

PM me if anyone wants it ...
  • feel
    Had a chat with a lemond dealer - supposedly trek have the licence to produce lemond bikes to 2010 and originally made sounds as if some production would continue. However, now they have stopped production and he (man in local LBS) is not able to get any for 2009. This has cheesed him off somewhat has he has had really excellent feedback on the ones he sold and was selling all he could get. Greg lemond, though, is supposedly the designer of the frames and retains the copyright on them. This could mean that after 2010 he could find another factory for them and we might see them back in production. Don't know how much of this is true and of course it could all change as there is a legal dispute between trek and lemond. Supposedly lemond bicycles had become the 5th most popular brand in the USA :shock:
  • well, as the starter of this thread, I still would like to know if anybody out there has a Reno, and is it any good :? :?
  • feel
    well, as the starter of this thread, I still would like to know if anybody out there has a Reno, and is it any good :? :?

think the 2008 Reno has the same frame as the 2007 tourmalet (my bike) which i find excellent for long rides and has never been twitchy or done anything other than inspire confidence.
  • well, as the starter of this thread, I still would like to know if anybody out there has a Reno, and is it any good :? :?

As I said; hired one for a week in Lanzarotte and it was fine ... but not and nice as the Zurich.