nightmare

counterculture
counterculture Posts: 507
edited November 2008 in MTB general
I noticed a knocking noise coming from my bike the last 2 days, it only seemed to happen when i was pedalling, so while i was cycling to work(4 trips in total) along i was looking around trying to figure out where it was coming from, trying different things, shifting my weight around to try narrow it down.

eventually figured it was coming from the downtube, seat post or seat itself, removed the seat post tipped the bike up to see if maybe something was inside the tube, tightened the seat, put the tube back in, then i discovered, i had a crack that was two thirds of the way round the seat stem, maybe 5mm up from the weld thats joins the top tube and down. Cue much swearing, the noise id been hearing was the crack getting worse as i was sitting on the seat

Its a fair old crack, not even sure if it can be described as a crack, as its two thirds of the way round the tube, anyone else had an issue like this, i had plenty seatpost down the tube so support wasnt an issue, i did come of my bike the other day during a wheelie attempt and battered the seat of the floor im assuming it was that

Ive found a local Blacksmith who has the equipment to weld aluminium, so im taking it round to him on monday and im hoping something can be done.

I suppose it could have been worse but still.....

(This started out as post asking for advice, but in the time it took for me to write it everything fell into place, so now its a report of an unfortunate event)
i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!

Comments

• What bike is it on? The frame may be under warranty? Lots of companies do long or even lifetime frame warranties.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont bother with the blacksmith.

He does not have the kit.

the frame will need heat treating or acid ageing after welding.

This is after the exact type of aluminium alloy has been identified to allow the correct filler to be used.

So after the welding and heat treating the frame will then need painting.

Is it worth it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The frame is deader than kipper ties.

Time for a new one!
  • its a gary fisher wahoo 05, definately not a lifetime warranty.

the welder/blacksmith is recommended and used by a few bike shops and cyclists in the area for this kind of thing, and i reckon its worth it to ask him what he thinks, to be honest im not expecting much from the trip, but because of where the crack is, it wont be a big job to fix if it can be fixed. also i only use the bike for going to work, so i wouldnt worry to much about the repainting and because ive just bought a rockhopper expert, theres not alot of cash at the moment and dont really intend it for the daily commute unless unavoidable.

my dads a welder but doesnt have access to the equipment to do aluminium and he reckons its an easy enough job, weld the crack and leave the weld on it, not bother smoothing it off to give the extra support.

cheers for your advice guys, ill speak to the welder see what he reckons, if he cant do anything, look out for my next post to find out if anyones selling a 21" frame
  • supersonic
    Just for comparison, the frame brand new is not worth much more than 100 quid. If it costs anything approaching this I'd get a new one as the repair is not forced to work. Aluminium is a complete barstard to fix!

However, do check the warranty! Some alu hardtails I have seen are 5 years!
  • had it fixed, got a local welder to do it, 5 minutes, cost me nothing and the guy insisted on me not paying him anything, only problem now is finding spray paint to cover the bare aluminium but the jobs a good un!!
  • supersonic
    OK, be very careful! The welding can weaken the frame further hence why they are post treated.
  • aye, im not expecting the bike to do anything more strenuous than the commute to work but ill be keeping a close one on the weld, might not even paint it just so i can see if it changes, and ill save my lovely new Rockhopper for the fun stuff
  • I'm amazed you can get still get the seat post in! Personally i wouldn't ride it though.
  • the seatpost section of the downtube is swedged(sp) its squeezed down to be narrower than the actual downtube to accomodate the seatpost, which is the reason there was a crack in the first,, place there must have been a small degree of movement over the last few years, quirky design from Gary Fisher. it doesnt actually affect the integrity of the frame becuase of the way the tube is made. all the welded tube is supporting is my fat ass and rucksack, which i cant forsee any repercussions, if i wipe out on it ill be the first to eat my words (through a straw)
    the weld penetrated inside the tube but it just needed buffed down with a rotary file to let the seatpost in and ive kept the weld on the outside and not buffed it down but the guy who done the job reckons i wont have any more worries.
  • everyone was right and i was wrong about the frame being f****d, the cracks started to reappear. bit of a s**t but these things happen.

will be frame shopping come payday.
  • supersonic
    Well, you had a go lol
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    at least the "repair" was free.

I did try to tell you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • i reckon it was the credit crunch what done it!!