Avid Rotor questions

Bungalow Bill
Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
I posted in the general section also, wasn't sure what this came under.

1) I have just come back from Troodos mountains hitting some good solid downhill trails, I was running 160 Front and back (I know lol) Anyway my rear disc now has a nice brown tint to it, guessing it got a bit hot. Should I replace this or will be ok for a little while?

2) I am going to replace it eventually anyway I am currently running Avid Juicy 5's can I stick a Hope floating rotor onto my setup or is it only avid discs I can use?

3) When upgrading I have looked at disc sizes and there is 180 and 183, I already have a 185 Rear adapter mount, can I get either size or would the 183 be best suited?

Will.
I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited October 2008
    it will be fine. it is normal.

the Hope floater will catch the removal tabs on the avid pads.

for avid 185mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    But you can remove part of the tab and it is OK (used a Dremel). I've just done this on XTR rotor with Avid brakes.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Get some Aztec rotors..... best on the market!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cjw
    and people have enough problems removing the pads when the tabs are there!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    LOL - I never found them a problem... Just cut part of the tab and use needle nose pliers (you also only need to remove part of the tab on one side - the straight one I think is the one that catches on the spider so you can still pull the other side out first) but good point.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team