Epping Forest

Bmjboy
Bmjboy Posts: 680
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Been invited to a bit of a jaunt around Epping Forest for some XC action in a week or so.

Anyone got any advice on trails to look for/do or website(s) with some further info on?

Cant beat a bot of local knowledge, so Im asking here first for some sage advice!!

Cheers
"I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet

Comments

• a17vts
    a17vts Posts: 90
    Not been there for years but I always use to start at High Beach as I believe it is a good starting point.

I use to be able to spend a whole day down there years ago, I've not been there for about 6 years now.
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    It WILL be muddy, very muddy so dress accordingly and with decent tyres.
    Trying to find your way around is honestly a no win, pop over to http://www.eppinghardcru.co.uk/Forums.html and come out one sunday and the guys will show you round.
  • Buckle
    Buckle Posts: 90
    Have a look at my blog below, to see what you'll encounter! Pick up a map from Carl at the green tea hut at High Beech (about £1.00) and start off heading away from the hut across the road. There's so much there you won't be disappointed but you will get very muddy!!

http://buckle69.wordpress.com/mountain-bike-stuff-2/
    Don't you just hate it when people ask rhetorical questions...
  • Follow the Centenary Walk.. There is singletrack to the right as you leave Whipps Cross north carpark, head north to the A406 via singletrack to the right of the Bridleway, join again at the top, watch out for a mudbath at the top, it is hub deep and long.. Go under tunnel, bear left to the second right, I think, should be a little bank to the left as you exit from the second tunnel, follow this path alongside but above the A406 to the next part of the Centenary Walk which crosses the A406 via a footbridge and heads off to your right uphill, at the top, you should see a green, far left side of the green is your exit, continue northish along path to a road crossing, should be a lake the other side, go left and follow path round lake until you reach the far end, I think a 20 degree right along the path from here leads you up towards High Beach (been a while since I did this route.. Please correct me if I have got any of this route wrong..) It is a distance.. There is places along the way to mess about at, ask the yokels on the bikes at Whipps, most of them know places, some not as far into the forest as you'd think. Also, from the boating hut at Whipps, head round the left side of the lake, there was stuff in that little area to the west of the lake.. Take your skidlid..
    Bicyclingeroner. Verb, By-sigh-clinger-onner. Person who hoards bycycles and parts, usually in a glass cabinet.
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    There is a ride mapped out in the Rough Ride Guide to the SE as well. I picked it up the other day, and did actually mean to do the route a week or two ago, but got all the way to Epping and 7 miles into the forest, then got a complete puncture and had to limp home... I am officially cursed as a Mountain Biker.

Anyway - http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/