Came off on black ice this morning

2»

Comments

• I recall one incident on a cold and frost day when I was cycling to work. I was going downhill pretty fast on a road surface. I turned my handlebars to the right to change direction and at that moment I hit ice! My bike slid from under me and I was very close to taking a concrete header! However as soon as my bike slid (and I knew the only way from there was down) I immediately turned my handlebars to the extreme left and to my amazement my bike straightened up and I did not crash! :) I went on my way feeling happy and lucky that I had came so close to a crash when I was going about 20MPH. I sometimes wonder what injuries I would have received had I crashed! Since then I have had a few crashes but I have always managed to escape serious injury!

You weren't so lucky as I was but in a sense you probably feel lucky! A crash can really shake you up and I think you know that without your protective gear your injuries would have been quite a lot worse! I have found that after a crash I become more sensible and cautious about cycling e.g. being more alert and going a bit slower! ;)