After dark commuting on canal in Leeds

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Hello all

After waiting all late summer (such as it was) for my shiny (Matt) new bike to work Orange P7 to arrive, I couldn't help but notice it is all manky and dark now. So, the question is, do people commute by bike along the canal from Rodley through to Leeds or am I likely to get axe murdered the first time I try it? I'd like to know as it might save me the cost of some lights (and premature death)!

Taaaa very much.....Rolf
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I cycle from Rodley - and totally avoid the canal path! It's okay if you want to do a very leisurely ride during the summer (although you are legally required to apply for a permit to cycle on the canalpath) - but in the wet and dark it's not really any good for cycling. There's less chance of seeing the groups of scallie's before it's too late! It has been known for kids to throw stones etc off a bridge over the canalpath as you get closer to town - I've never personally had any trouble with that though. Think the main thing is just that it's slippery and dark so you'd need exceptional lights and would have to go really slow to avoid having an accident or hitting/scaring a pedestrian.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I thought this would be a dogging thread.
  • biondino wrote:

Disappointed? :P
  • biondino wrote:

On a canal!

Amateur.
    <insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How much is a P7 ? Compared to a set of lights ?

You'd need lights on a canal path anyway unless you go off radar ?
  • rolf_f
    BUICK wrote:
    I cycle from Rodley - and totally avoid the canal path! It's okay if you want to do a very leisurely ride during the summer (although you are legally required to apply for a permit to cycle on the canalpath) - but in the wet and dark it's not really any good for cycling. There's less chance of seeing the groups of scallie's before it's too late! It has been known for kids to throw stones etc off a bridge over the canalpath as you get closer to town - I've never personally had any trouble with that though. Think the main thing is just that it's slippery and dark so you'd need exceptional lights and would have to go really slow to avoid having an accident or hitting/scaring a pedestrian.

Thanks for that - I've seen plenty using it in the summer so presumably it is OK then (I'd rather cycle leisurely off the road than hurriedly on it!) - but it looks like it is too late now. What route do you take - I live in Calverley so could presumably use the same route. I'm not wildly keen on being flattened by cars on a regular basis; the route I'd have presumed to take would be down to the Rodley roundabout, up through towards Bramley and left down to Kirkstall Lights and then down Kirkstall road - most of which really doesn't appeal.
  • rolf_f
    cougie wrote:
    How much is a P7 ? Compared to a set of lights ?

You'd need lights on a canal path anyway unless you go off radar ?

Don't subscribe to the theory that bike lights (or any other form of lights) are needed in broad daylight. Ultimately, if I can't find an appealling and safe route to commute by bike in winter, I'll leave the bike at home and carry on using foot and train.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Hey Rolf - I do indeed go along through Rodley then left onto Leeds-Bradford Road, down to Kirkstall and along K Rd. On Kirkstall Road it's worth slowing right down when the traffic is backing up (sometimes your view of turning traffic is shut down too much - AND I have had a door opened on me by a passenger whilst I was cycling in the cycle lane). For the most part though it's a good little commute - just takes a little getting used to being on the road if you aren't used to it. Give it a go! :D
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Nick6891
    Nick6891 Posts: 274
    i tend to only go along the leeds canal for a leisure ride in the summer, havnt really been down there in the winter, im guessing its dark though haha