Trek 1.7 shed a lb or two ???

bunnerscj
bunnerscj Posts: 396
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all,
Just got a near new trek 1.7 2008 second hand
Link below for spec
(specialized Toupe saddle instead of the listed bontrager one)

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/1011/515-231008

Whats the best way £ for lb to shed some weight ?
Wheels - lighter ones?
Stem and bars - carbon ones ?
Any help would be good
Thanks
'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    unless you've got money to burn I'd leave it as it is.

Better / lighter wheels would make the biggest difference / £.
    Carbon bar and stem might only save a few grams yet set you back £400.
    If you go shopping for a lighter groupset you'll end up paying more than the bike cost you.

If you personally have any excess weight you could lose that would be a cheaper way to go.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    you have changed the saddle which is a big saving (the toupe is about as light as it gets) - so I would agree that wheels are a good upgrade - for a number of reasons, weight being just one of them.

after that - well - you might find that carbon bars / stem are actually heavier than the alloy ones (although they look great!)

other stuff not really worth it to be honest - you could change to a top of the range groupset but you would need to spend close to a grand and probably only save a few grams of weight.

You should definately change the tyres as a minimum - they will be heavy and rubbish if my experience of OE tyres on 5-600 bikes is anything to go by. Then the wheels and you would have a pretty sweet bike.
  • bunnerscj
    bunnerscj Posts: 396
    Any one got any good ideas for tyres as an upgrade ???
    'We go up we go down, this is bull sh*t yar'
  • Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    i like continental gp4000s tyres - they last quite well, grip well, roll quickly.

Al
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I have the same bike as you - and am just about to put a toupe on it.

Other than that the next thing I will be changing is the tyres - they're just not great although are a little better now that I've put 1000 miles on them.

I'm thinking of the Michelin Pro 3's when I change them - probably wait until after Christmas now though .
    I'm left handed, if that matters.