Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Knocked off bike - what to do?

kingmhokingmho Posts: 37
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
I was riding home on Salter Road in Southwark last night, the next thing I know I am in hospital (Whitechapel) having my head scanned. I have a vague recollection of me and my bike being inside a bus, not sure if it was what hit me, as I DON'T REMEMBER THE ACCIDENT! My helmet is cracked, but otherwise me + bike seem ok. I guess I should report to the local police station, but is there anything else I should do?


  • girv73girv73 Posts: 842
    Definitely report it to the police. They may be able to find CCTV or witnesses of the accident, and you'll probably need an incident number if you want to claim for a new bike / personal injury on insurance or whatever.

    Take it easy and recover as well !
    Today is a good day to ride
  • phil_ss1phil_ss1 Posts: 194

    Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you fully recover soon.

    I'd phone the CTC (or their solicitors) and take some serious advice about the next steps.

    I'm presuming the police know who else was involved with the incident being so serious.

  • Wrath RobWrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    A few years ago my brother in law got involved in a fight that I tried to difuse. I was hit, went down like a sack of spuds and hit my head on the road. I don't remember that, I jest remember leaving the pub and then being in my parents in law's kitchen. It gave them quite a fright when in the middle of the conversation I was having with them I suddenly said "Hang on, how did I get here? What happened to the pub?"

    I still can't remember the exact details, like getting hit, but more of the memories before and afterwards came back of the weeks afterwards. Apart from that, no long term affects so hopefully it will be the same for you. Take it easy and make a speedy recovery.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • FeltupFeltup Posts: 1,340
    Speedy recovery and hope you manage to get back on the bike soon. There has to be some record of you accident so go and check in with the police and see if you can find out what went on if only for your peace of mind.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

    Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • helzhelz Posts: 406
    Poor you, really sorry to hear that! I used to cycle along Salter Road every day (until I moved house a couple of weeks ago). No advice to add other than what others have said. I hope the police are helpful and you heal up nice and quick.
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • Thanks for the advice, folks. I reported the accident to the local police station, though I didn't get the impression that anything would come of it. I also made a follow-up visit to my GP, who did some checks and said I should be OK. If I hear any news, I will post.[/img]
Sign In or Register to comment.