BrandandRoss

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2008 in Campaign
To be honest, I don't give a frig about either of them....Neither of them are funny or talented. I would hope that Mr Brown has got better things to do right now than make any comment on this - sadly, I was mistaken.

Do feel sorry for Mr Sachs and his granddaughter (I would, but she would have to persuade me) - but, for fecks sake, are there not more important things going on in the world?! Or should I just integrate into "Hello!" society and get my brain removed?

Too much media coverage?

Comments

• Mr Brown very obviously hasn't anything better to sort out. And, hopefully, very soon he will have even more time on his hands and we can all get on with living our lives the way WE want to.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    It's a classic example of the amplification spiral, where a story gathers momentum until the public, in this instance, decided to complain about something they never previously knew about, and then the prime minister gets involved.

Northern Rock was also a good example of this. The news just couldn't leave it alone. Then before we knew it, there were queues outside every branch.

Absolutely pathetic. Don't surrended to the "Hello! Society", the world needs free thinkers.

Supporting quote from the BBC news page:
    For a programme that prompted just two complaints when it was broadcast, Russell Brand's Radio 2 Show has caused a remarkable furore.

18,000 complaints were made after the show was aired. I can't quite understand what kind of person would watch the news and say "Oh yeah, that would probably offended me if I heard it. I'm not sure though. Maybe I should complain about it anyway."
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Personally I think both Brand and Ross are both extremely funny. I also thought that there "lewd" phone call was funny as well. As for Mr Sachs, he didn't actually apear that bothered by the whole thing, he was more annoyed about the swearing, which is fair enough. As for his granddaughter, she's done alright out of it all. How much do you think she's made out of all of this? Personally if I was Mr Sachs I'd be more embarrassed by my actual granddaughter and her "Satanic Sluts" dance thing. I was also amused that it turns out Brand had slept with her, I was also slighlty surprised seeing as she's a bit of a munter! The whole thing reminds me of the "Shilpa Popadom" event.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Personally, I think Jonathan Ross is a funny bloke. Although he has been off the boil for a while with the chatshow. Not so much an interview, more him climbing up some actors a##e - then the following week on Film 08, he slates the same film :lol: Same people every series, Jack Dee, Lucas/Walliams, Rob Briden, Ricky Gervais and that bloke from Torchwood.
    I think a lot of it now, people who want to justify the complaint/have a go at JR because of the annual £6 million salary. Bit like some of the anti Foxhunting lobby, possibly not bothered about the Fox - but want to have a bash at what is perceived to be a upper-class activity. Bryan Ferry's son...he is a great advertisement eh!? Either way, no time for either tbh...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I've never thought Brand was funny, I used to think Ross was but he seems to believe his own hype these days. That's neither here nor there but I don't really want to live in a society where what they did is acceptable on a radio show on a mainstream radio station. If a couple of millionaires are allowed to do whatever they like on the BBC and get away with it then I can't really see how we can condemn loutish anti social behaviour elsewhere. For two adults to taunt an old bloke about having sex with his granddaughter is bad enough but to do it on a radio show really does merit getting the sack - I don't think you have to be particularly conservative to hold that view.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Eat My Dust
    I'm waiting for Ross to say f*ck you all and go and take his shows to Sky or ITV and only charge them a fiver. That'd make me laugh.
  • I wish Ross would say F*@k you and go. TV would be better off without him. How up your own arse can you get. I know kids off the street who could swear more and crack better jokes for a fraction of the licence payers money. Good riddance I say...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    It's a classic example of the amplification spiral, where a story gathers momentum until the public, in this instance, decided to complain about something they never previously knew about, and then the prime minister gets involved.

Northern Rock was also a good example of this. The news just couldn't leave it alone. Then before we knew it, there were queues outside every branch.

Absolutely pathetic. Don't surrended to the "Hello! Society", the world needs free thinkers.

Supporting quote from the BBC news page:
    For a programme that prompted just two complaints when it was broadcast, Russell Brand's Radio 2 Show has caused a remarkable furore.

18,000 complaints were made after the show was aired. I can't quite understand what kind of person would watch the news and say "Oh yeah, that would probably offended me if I heard it. I'm not sure though. Maybe I should complain about it anyway."

But you can do exactly that and legitimately.... but the assumption od "if I heard it" is outdated.

These items were (and are) freely available on YouTube as well as a thousand other electronic sources, the BBC encourages you to listen to shows on radio and TV on IPlayer - a delayed format. Most radio shows and local TV have "listen again" options

What is being said is that "I am offended by the output form the BBC and I find it unacceptable"....... Whether you watch / listen to the original broadcast or six weeks after the event because someone had pointed it out to you then you still have that right to be offended.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Eat My Dust
    But why do people go and search for something that is being branded offensive, and then get offended and complain about it. That just doesn't make sense in my mind. Kind of like starting a fight at a football match and then complaining there's too much football violence!
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    I complain as do a lot of people because its a good chance to get rid of these talentless halfwits and it has already been of significant benefit because with a bit of luck Mr Brand will never be seen or heard of again.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • I listened to it. Honestly, I think Brand knew exactly what was going on and Ross was just a middle aged halfwit getting caught up in someone else's gag.

Pretty good career move for Brand, but Ross's "Angus Deaton" moment. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Interesting though - I never knew that there were as many as 35000 people in Eastbourne.
  • Eat My Dust
    boybiker wrote:
    I complain as do a lot of people because its a good chance to get rid of these talentless halfwits and it has already been of significant benefit because with a bit of luck Mr Brand will never be seen or heard of again.

Are you having a laugh? Talentless? Halfwits? The BBC nees people like Brand and Ross more than they need the BBC, that's why Ross gets paid so much, and as far as Brand is concerned, his radio show was what? one day a week. I think his career is a bit more diverse than that. More than can be said for your thinking!
  • toshmund
    Surprised to see that MTV/XFM have sacked Russell Brand. They always knew they were employing someone a bit "leftfield", the furore had nothing to do with them. Suppose with MTV, it came a bit too close after the George Bush comments.
  • Eat My Dust
    Brand was sacked from MTV before. He showed up to work on the 12/09/2001 dressed as Bin Laden.
  • boybiker
    Well... from what i read in the paper Brand was a nasty cowardly bully who used to run to the producer who treated him as her pet and get anyone who said no to his ideas fired.
    Now I don't know about you but I think that a man who hides behind a woman and gets her to do his dirty work for him isn't much of a man.
    As for his 'more diverse career' he wrote his 'booky wook' which most reviewers said should be rammed up his arsey warse.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    boybiker wrote:
    Well... from what i read in the paper Brand was a nasty cowardly bully who used to run to the producer who treated him as her pet and get anyone who said no to his ideas fired.
    Now I don't know about you but I think that a man who hides behind a woman and gets her to do his dirty work for him isn't much of a man.
    As for his 'more diverse career' he wrote his 'booky wook' which most reviewers said should be rammed up his arsey warse.

Must be true then if it was in the paper. They are never less than 100% accurate
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • boybiker
    Sorry all I read there was :-

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

I love Russel brand and want to have his children.

and to be honest I was shocked. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Eat My Dust
    boybiker wrote:

I think you'll find Brand has several contracts with Channel 4, is a football pundit for a national newspaper, he's also knocking on Hollywood's door and US TV, and is a VERY successful and popular stand up comedian. His radio show was only a single part of his career, one that he probably isn't going to miss too much.
  • toshmund
    Brand was sacked from MTV before. He showed up to work on the 12/09/2001 dressed as Bin Laden.

Makes you wonder why the BBC employed him then. Must be regarded as questionable judgement!?
  • boybiker wrote:

you cant-youre having mine!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • boybiker
    boybiker wrote:

you cant-youre having mine!
    Thats the first I heard about it :? :?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Private Eye had a belting article in it this week on the subject.

One of the issues was that Radio 2 had handed over the production of Brand's show to an independent company, which is owned by........Russel Brand! So hardly likely to edit if he didn't want.

Also that the company that produces Ross's radio and TV shows will be compensated during Ross's suspension. Owner of that company......Johnathan Ross!

It's all good stuff!