Transporting bikes in the car

daver79
daver79 Posts: 23
edited October 2008 in MTB general
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

Does anybody know of any bike travel bags that don't cost much more than £60 each but are wide enough to enable you to leave the pedals on your bike and just turn the handlebars and remove the wheels?

Alternatively, what do you use to protect your car? (in my case the girlfriend's car!)

At present we just fold down the rear seats of her car (ford fiesta) and put a dust sheet down and put both bikes in (minus the wheels) with a thin blanket between the two and the wheels on top.

However as the weather's beginning to get more ropey and missus getting less keen on a muddy car, I'm looking for ideas.

I did consider a rear mounted rack but was concerned that most of them cover the number plate. Also a new car might be on the horizon, possible a ford focus, and these have high tail lights so a high mounted rear rack would obscure the lights.

I must admit I prefer travelling with the bikes inside of the car so any suggestions on bags or other suitable solutions that will protect the inside of the car from mud, grime and water would be appreciated!

Comments