Fitness, or lack of it.

P0IS0N0AK
P0IS0N0AK Posts: 6
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I have been mountain biking for quite a few months now, I started out unfit and was pleased how quick I advanced, I did 42 miles about two weeks ago and felt great.

So, today after two weeks off, due to work/hoilday I went for a ride, about 8 miles. It killed me, it felt like the first time I got on the bike months ago. I was gasping for air.

Now two weeks ago it was shorts and t-shirt weather. Today was freezing, I dressed for the cold, stated out feeling pretty cold but soon warmed up.

Is my sudden decline in fitness due to my 2 weeks off, or would the cold weather effect me that much?

Thankyou for any info.

Comments

• Funny you say this, I only do 5 or 6 miles a day at the minute, and do it without much bother, but today I did it and found it a lot tougher :S even after only 4 or 5 days off.
  • KB8
    KB8 Posts: 123
    Last year my fitness level was exceptional. A few days off would have been a benefit. Since my son was born however, my fitness level has dropped to 'good', and after a few days off I can definitely feel the difference. I still have the leg strength and lactate tolerance, but the heart and lungs need a really good warm up to make sure I don't get the 'tightness' in the chest.
  • 2 weeks of relatively little riding can undo alot of the work you've put in, it can take maybe 4 weeks to get back to the level you were before those 2 weeks off, depending on what you get upto on those 2 weeks out of it.
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • cold air makes my asthma (usually pretty much none existant) much worse (like existant), that's the main thing that gets me when riding in the cold