Helmet storage

eyrunj
eyrunj Posts: 5
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Hey all
I always have this problem of what to do with my bike helmet when I’m on the go, that is when I park my bike at school or at the supermarket and really don’t feel like taking the helmet with me inside… Do you have any ideas?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    If you're locking your bike up just slip the lock between the helmet straps as you secure your bike.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    eyrunj wrote:
    Hey all
    I always have this problem of what to do with my bike helmet when I’m on the go, that is when I park my bike at school or at the supermarket and really don’t feel like taking the helmet with me inside… Do you have any ideas?

Do you not carry a rucksack that you could put it in? That's what I do...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I put my d-lock through it and leave it with the bike - I don't think many thieves are that interested in safe cycling :)
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • eyrunj
    eyrunj Posts: 5
    I carry a rucksack but it is usually filled with other stuff ;)
    The way I do it know is to put my d-lock through the straps, but its not really convinient and it gets wet when it rains, just thought that there might be a more handy solution out there....
  • mine is currently residing on a colleagues chair. It usually lives under my desk.
  • Strap it to the outside of the bag like the way kids on BMX's do.
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I feel Greg T has missed an opportunity here
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I feel Greg T has missed an opportunity here

Helmet, fnarr fnarr :oops:

lock it to the bike, end of, easy peasy, who knows, it might even rain and give the grubby thing a wash :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    eyrunj wrote:
    ...and it gets wet when it rains....

So do you, so what's the problem with a moist helmet?
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Deuter_Cross_Air_Exp_Rucksack_2008/5360034639/
    where the helmet fits nicely into the front pouch of the sac.

Mmmm....helmet, pouch, sac. No double entendres meant!
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Leave the helmet at home?

There's an ongoing debate about whether bike helmets actually make you safer. I don't want to open up that can of worms again but you might want to re-evaluate whether it's worth the hassle.
    If you've already done this and have concluded that it is worthwhile, then you might be as well wearing it while you're shopping etc, too. It would be daft to take it off and risk a head injury when you could be wearing it more easily than carrying it.

Cheers,
    W.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Buns, the guy's at school!
  • chas67
    chas67 Posts: 13
    ... I'm going to plump up my cushion, get a cup of tea and watch this one from the sidelines ........
  • wgwarburton
    Dangerous places, schools... just ask the teachers... I'm sure lots of them would be happier wearing body armour.

• then you might be as well wearing it while you're shopping etc, too.

I didn't have lorries and buses blasting past me at 40mph when I was in Tesco last night...
  • wgwarburton
    BoardinBob writes:
    > I didn't have lorries and buses blasting past me at 40mph when I was in Tesco last night...

I thought we wern't going to do this..?

Whatever your thoughts on whether or not a bike helmet is effective in a minor fall, on-road/off-road, whether it might increase the risk of serious head injuries or not, risk compensation, psychological effects on other road users and so on, we can surely all agree that if you get hit by a bus or a lorry doing 40mph, a helmet will not significantly increase your chances of survival? Even the people that make and sell the things won't claim that!!!

Slip on a pot of spilt cream by the dairy counter, though, and you might be able to claim that "A helmet saved my life!"... at least that sort of impact is within the design criteria :-)

Cheers,
    W.