Stunning piece of good fortune this morning

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Waiting to catch the train in (train in, cycle home) I was talking to girl who turned out to be boss of the team that maintains the Bridleway I use!

How good is that?

Having a natter I found out about the planned extensions to the bridleway, the forthcoming work (this weekend) and was able to ask if they could sort out the loose gravel accumulated since the last major downpour.

I even found out that they are pressing very hard to extend the bridleway further into Derby to bypass the really annoying hill I struggle with. The only sticking point is cleaning up the toxic leftovers from the old railway line where it goes through a tunnel (under that very hill)

I also found out about the plans for the canal path I *could* use to be widened to allow cyclists down properly (cinder track).

I now have a (cute!) route to ask for improvements specific to my commute. Quite made my day and it had barely started :D
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It's all about who you know...

What you really want is for them to link up some awesome flowy singletrack so you can do a stunning off-road commute and arrive covered in mud!
  • Kieran_Burns
    It's all about who you know...

What you really want is for them to link up some awesome flowy singletrack so you can do a stunning off-road commute and arrive covered in mud!

Make it look like I worked hard to get in - when in fact it was almost completely flat and a doddle... I like your thinking! :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Suggest to them that they use this stuff called "tarmac" that doesn't wash away in the rain and that is suitable for all sorts of bicycles. In the absence of motorised vehicles, I understand, from its use in developed countries, that it lasts for ages.
  • Kieran_Burns
    don't forget it is a bridleway and horses use it. Tarmac can be hard on the horses hooves, and they can tear up the surface.

The packed mud / firm gravel surface they use at the moment is fine by me. A bit harder to push along but nothing too bad. It also means when I get to the road it feels like I'm flying. :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Did you ask her out for a drink? :wink::wink: