2 Cateye's not enough. Help!

Matty1235
Matty1235 Posts: 125
edited October 2008 in Workshop
Hi,

I changed job earlier in the year going from a city commute to a country lane/trail commute. I had a cateye EL510, so I bought another thinking this would light the roads up. I was so wrong, but don't want to make the same mistake. I need something in max budget of £100, that will run for at least 3 hours. Experienced suggestions please, as it scared the life out of me last night, and the bike hitting every pot hole available.

Cheers

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Search the threads for Fenix L2D. Seriously bright, 2 hours runtime at max output from two AA rechargeables, so you can easily do 3 hours by taking a second set of batteries.
    £45 for the light and the lockblock bar mount from www.thephotonshop.co.uk

I do 2hr night circuits on completely unlit rural roads with one of these and can pedal flat out without fear. Drivers coming the other way dip their lights pretty quickly too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Seconded.

I dont need the full turbo power setting - I just use high most of the time - so thats 4 hours run time. And the LD20 is slightly better with 5 hours I think ?

Check out www.thephotonshop.com

Get one lockblock and put the other light on your helmet. Works a treat.

Oh and a Vapextech £15 charger and batteries.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    get the LD20
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Use 'em on turbo and get a charger for your desk at work. 2900 mAh NiMHs are your friend.
  • tenbar
    tenbar Posts: 94
    robbarker wrote:
    Use 'em on turbo and get a charger for your desk at work. 2900 mAh NiMHs are your friend.

surely you're not advocating stealing electricity from your employer?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The LD20 manages 5 hours because it's putting out 94 lumens, the L2D does 4 hours at 107 lumens.

Both do 180 lumens in turbo mode but the L2D claims 2.4hrs runtime vs 2.0hrs for the LD20.
  • Matty1235
    Matty1235 Posts: 125
    Thanks for all the response due to the seemingly unanimous verdict of the fenix i called the guy at photonshop, really helpfull went through what I needed with him and ordered the LD20. I'm looking forward to seeing where i'm going tomorrow night, perhaps won't quite be the same fun though.

Thanks for the advice
  • cougie
    For added thrills and spills - you could always wear your sunglasses ?
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Personally I'd have gone for something like the Hope Vision 1. It's a bit more expensive but it's brighter, better battery life, a proper clamp and much much smaller. I can't imagine riding about with something 15cm long on my bars. Where do you put it? My stem isn't even that length.
  • cougie
    System - its not a problem at all. The lock block holds it really securely - even off road and in the middle of the shaft - so you have some overhanging at each end.

Its almost half the cost of the Hope - and the Hope altho slightly brighter uses twice the batteries.
  • Colzer1
    Colzer1 Posts: 58
    I use two Cateye EL320 lights with them both set to flash for riding the streets and fixed beam for the dark roads and trails on my commute.

I find they work great and the double flashing headlamp certainly makes car drivers notice you coming. the batteries though not rechargable last for ages.
    Pace RC405
    Pace RC303
    Specialized A1 Rockhopper Pro Disc
    Bits A Bike SingleSpeed mountain bike
    Single speed Reynolds steel framed road bike
    1992 Marin rocky Ridge
    1990 Trek 8000
    1991 Kona Fire Mountain
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    cougie wrote:
    System - its not a problem at all. The lock block holds it really securely - even off road and in the middle of the shaft - so you have some overhanging at each end.

Its almost half the cost of the Hope - and the Hope altho slightly brighter uses twice the batteries.

Fair point about the batteries. Does the lock block allow them to be adjusted easy enough on the fly? I think that's why if I had £100 to spend I'd be happier spending that bit extra and getting something specifically designed for the job. That said you seem to get a lot of light for your money and if on a budget they look worthy of consideration.

I wouldn't mind seeing one fitted to a bike and in action. They certainly seem to be popular. I don't know why I'm so interested in these as I got a set of Ay-Ups last year so my lighting needs are sorted for a coupe of years.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    How do these systems compare to the Use Joystick Maxx - I've one of those and despite good reviews and it being very handy sized and easy to charge I'm a bit disappointed in the actual light it produces.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • cougie
    Yeah - lock block is dead simple - rubber and velcro straps - 'cos the torch is held in the middle its balanced so no weight to force either end down. You can still push the torch around a tad in its mountings - so change the angle or the left/right trajectory too.

Great off the bike too - like lightsabres as someone pointed out.
  • cougie
    The Max is slightly more powerful and runs 3 hours rather than the 2 of the L20D - but it is three times (and more) the price.

I'd wager that two Fenix would let you ride faster than just one Max ? 360 lumen for £80 vs 240 - and from 2 different viewpoints - helmet and bars.
  • dinotte 200 aal

Excellent light. you have to buy your own very high capacity rechargeable aa batteries to go with it but it certainly dose the trick for me. and the cars can't half see you.
  • cougie
    Yeah its a nice enough light - 200 Lumens I think ? - On One have them for £70.

My choice would be to get two Fenix - 360 Lumens for £80 - and its not all your eggs in one basket. And its the same amount of batteries - for two lights. Plus you can use them elsewhere. My Dinotte is no use apart from on my bike - I cant run with it or camp with it.
  • MOB
    MOB Posts: 8
    Dinotte 200 is nice but the Dinotte 800 is nuch nicer.

800 lumens with excellent throw and spread. As I have plenty of 4 cell and 2 cell li-ion batteries already, I bought the light only direct from the US for £190 plus import duty.

Pricey, yes, but what price safety? As I ride on unlit country roads it is worth every penny. Its nearest competitor is the Light and Motion 700 Seca but this is much more expensive if you have to buy batteries.

I used to think Cateye lights were the dogs b******* but they are fragile, expensive for the poor quality, and three sets (front and rear) broke in a v short time period.

Noticable though, that none of the road and mtb magazines had any dinotte sets for review over the last couple of months. Shame: as the new 800 and 400 lumen lights are superb and the new rear light is even brighter. Dinotte have great customer service and they always provide extra li-ion batteries in their packs.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Oh well I will chip in with my usual ayup recommendation. Very small, lightweight, very bright and fantastic battery life.
  • Have just bought a Niteflux Photon Max for well under £200 and it's rated at 800 lumens i've just ridden with it and it's awesome even on country lanes in pitch black it lit the road incredibly only trouble was i couldn't ride fast enough for it ha ha ha
  • MOB
    MOB Posts: 8
    I've seen beam shots of this light and while it has excellent throw the spread is far too narrow. It is more suited to a head light than being mounted on handlebars. Dinotte 800 has excellent throw and better spread.

Still, compared to what 95% of cyclists use its far, far, superior. Nice piece of kit and it will keep you safe over the winter.
  • Try the Wind-Up Illuminator (TM). Take a saddle-bag, fill with lamp oil and petroleum jelly.

Jus before you set-off, light it and if you get it right, you will be seen for miles (and hours) and you will keep your arse warm!!

Don't thank me - I'm just a generous guy! :wink:
    You only cycle cos you can\'t afford a car!
  • PMSL...Wind-Up Illuminator gets my vote :lol:
    Turner 5Spot '11
    Spesh Rockhopper '08
    Cube Agree HPA '10
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    System wrote:
    Personally I'd have gone for something like the Hope Vision 1. It's a bit more expensive but it's brighter, better battery life, a proper clamp and much much smaller.

Be warned that the regulation on the Vision1 is such that instead of going dim when the batteries start to suffer, it turns itself off. You can turn it back on in a lower power mode, but that's no good if you crashed first.
    Other than that, fine.
  • andrew_s
    MOB wrote:
    And double the OP's budget. :roll:
    Why not recommend a Lupine Betty 14, which blows the Dinotte 800 away?
  • andrew_s
    MOB wrote:
    And double the OP's budget. :roll:
    Why not recommend a Lupine Betty 14, which blows the Dinotte 800 away?
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    2 x Fenix with lockblox for me, but the word on the street for winter 2009 is cheapo Tesco Cree lights. Have a peak at the MTB forums, theres a loooong thread on them. MTB lads like their tech and it's dark in them woods...
  • cougie
    whats the point at which its starting to get silly with these torches ?
    I like my night time to still be at least a little bit night time.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    cougie wrote:
    whats the point at which its starting to get silly with these torches ?
    I like my night time to still be at least a little bit night time.

huh? its more like how long are going to have to keep comparing what lights r the best for midnight pitch black riding at 20-40mph and well affordable until we actually find "the one" ?!
    why does it hav to be so complex in making a decision in what lights + batterys to buy?

at the moment i hav the electron eph325 and a romisen T5, so im hoping by tonight ill know i dont have to buy anymore lights tho i havnt got a helmet light yet as i dont hav a clue what thing i need to attach the light to a bell sweep R.
  • cougie
    Its amazing how much they've progressed lately - but does anyone need the 1000 lumens set up ? And next year - they'll have a 2000 lumens that we 'need' etc etc....

To fit the torch on your head - easy. Strong elastic band/ O ring/ hairband or two.
    Bit of rubber round the torch to lay it on the helmet. Easy.
    You may need to angle the torch upwards a bit depending on how 'head down' you ride.