Winter gloves recommendations

jstutters
jstutters Posts: 23
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I learnt a couple of lessons riding home in the freezing rain last night:
1) DHB bibs are really good for the money and keep me warm when they're soaked
2) My current gloves aren't warm or waterproof which is a painful experience when it's cold and chucking it down

So... does anyone have any recommendations for gloves? I don't mind if they're not actually waterproof provided they keep a bit of heat in when they're wet.

Cheers.
Jonny

Comments

• I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Gavia ones, which are great, but may or may not be girls ones.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    jstutters wrote:
    Hi all,

I learnt a couple of lessons riding home in the freezing rain last night:
    1) DHB bibs are really good for the money and keep me warm when they're soaked
    2) My current gloves aren't warm or waterproof which is a painful experience when it's cold and chucking it down

So... does anyone have any recommendations for gloves? I don't mind if they're not actually waterproof provided they keep a bit of heat in when they're wet.

Cheers.

Its a good job, because, other than washing up gloves, they will not be waterproof.

I use sealskinz ones just now. I have tried numerous other gloves, but there is a tendency for them to be too bulky to be of much use and therefore only necessary in the deep polar winter. The sealskins ones (not the bike specific) are pretty warm and somewhat fairly marginally dry. Most of all they are quite cheap and in my experience no less durable than most summer cycling gloves.
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    I bought some dhb gloves which did the trick this morning
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I got (thinnish) Gore ones from evans and they are crap!!!! don't keep your hands warm in winter and the padding is ineffectual becasue there's not enough of it and it's in the wrong places
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The Endura gloves I have are too rigid and also perhaps to small (my fault I guess) and while they do a job I imagine I could get better. I might bite the bullet and actually go into a REAL shop and TRY on ACTUAL ITEMS rather than rely on the internet and guesswork.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Sealskinz are the way forward. I use the £20 ones. They're reasonably waterproof providing you don't let water run down into them and warm when wet. They also keep the worst of the wind out.

Just be aware of any sharp bits on your bike as it'll chew through sealskinz very quickly.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,591
    I love my 661 Storm gloves, and I got them last year at a bargainous 9.99 from CRC.

Not waterproof though, but they are toasty warm.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    don't let water run down into them and warm when wet.
    I have only managed to achieve this by holding my arms in the air. Its difficult to change gears though.
  • I recently (like last weekend) bought a pair of Altura Night Vision gloves and am so far fairly impressed. Not too bulky, good feel of the bars, kept my hands dry last night (though I wasn't looking for a waterproof glove specifically, these claim to be) and kept them reasonably warm this morning.

HTH,

_
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    Underscore wrote:
    I recently (like last weekend) bought a pair of Altura Night Vision gloves and am so far fairly impressed. Not too bulky, good feel of the bars, kept my hands dry last night (though I wasn't looking for a waterproof glove specifically, these claim to be) and kept them reasonably warm this morning.

HTH,

_

Ive had these gloves for a couple of weeks and cant fault them - 10/10 for the commute and mtb, prob too bulky for the road :D
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • Depends what I grab in the morning. Sometimes I wear some leather gloves with some padde d knuckles on if Im feeling in a particular agressive mood and have the possible need to smack a car driver other than that my seal skins are just the job.

But prefere with out gloves.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Scoobers wrote:

My DHB ones are warm enough and sort of waterproof but the cuff is annoyingly short so draughts get in. The previous pair I had were from Decathlon and were really very good and nice and cheap.
  • fonty1978
    fonty1978 Posts: 101
    I read countless reviews of winter gloves and eventually plumped for Sealskinz Winter technical gloves, and i have to say i'm very pleased with them.

Rode to work this morning at 7 am and the temparature was round about freezing my hands were still toasty warm too. The best bit abou these gloves though is their waterproofing. I've ridden in cold rainy conditions and hands have still been warm.
    Commuter Surosa Toledo S34 Audax
    Best Bike Merida Road Race 901-18

In truth i love them both
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I've a pair of Sealskinz MTB winter gloves for the commute and they're great. Keep you dry and warm while still being flexible enough to work the brakes/shifters/lights easily.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Aldi £3.99 absolutely great.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    I would just recommend wearing them.

I figured that as it only takes about 4 minutes to bike to the gym from home, it wasn't worth putting gloves on this morning. Big mistake. The pain from my frozen hands nearly made me cry :cry:
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    symo wrote:
    Aldi £3.99 absolutely great.

Aldi £3.99 absolutely cr@p!

Fingers froze this morning :cry:

Time to dig out the knackered TOG 24's

P
  • I have to agree with you there phil!

They are neither warm enough for winter cold, or waterproof enough for anything longer than 20 minutes in light rain!

:(
    Wanna go for a ride? :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    These
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Gore_ALP_X_Windstopper_Winter_Gloves/5360038695/

Are rather good... I find slipping on liner gloves when it's super double b@stard freezing will solve all cold hand issues
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Clever Pun wrote:
    These
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Gore_ALP_X_Windstopper_Winter_Gloves/5360038695/

Are rather good... I find slipping on liner gloves when it's super double b@stard freezing will solve all cold hand issues

"Stock expected late Feb" :shock:
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    These

That's handy :D
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    These

unlucky... for having small hands

I also use the Campag http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Campagnolo_Raytech_Thermo_Txn_Winter_Gloves/5360031320/ but they aren't as warm and the hand grip peels off fast
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    These

That's handy :D

Boom Boom! :lol:

I second the Altura Nightvision recommendation. Just about the right thickness and weight. Like the sound of the Sealskinz ones as well though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My nightvision gloves left the very tips of my fingers a bit cold this morning but i have slightly poor circulation in my hands and feet. Apart from that, they are great

They are big enough inside that i could wear my lightweight full fingered gloves as well if I chose to.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Scoobers wrote:

I've got them too, nice and wind/waterproof but my little paws were too big for the medium size, which is daft - have found that the sizing/fit on dhb stuff is a little random (have some of their shoes, too)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Altura for me too, though I've started to shred the palms of the left glove, having used them from December to may be March last year and then 3 times this year. I think I might give the Sealskinz a go next, if they've got something to help eke out the life of the palms
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Altura Night visions here as well, got them last year when it snowed and I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.
    FCN 11, Hmmm
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    For the pure cold Polaris Vortex and for the wet Gore Windstopper gloves. If like yesterday it is both I have some silk liners I use in the Gore Gloves
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I just bought a pair of Gore Bike Wear gloves last week and so far very impressed....dry and warm hands so far. Not cheap, but seems you get what you pay for...

Steve