GMTV

marchant
marchant Posts: 362
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Did anyone else see GMTV this morning? Seemed a well balanced article, although as well as counting cycling RLJ, maybe they should've counted infractions by other road users.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I saw the 6am (ish) report and thought it was more biased against cyclists (hence my post in Soapbox in Road). I e-mailed my thoughts, which I wouldn't normally bother with, but it got my goat a little. The 7.40 "repeat" showed the same recorded report, but the talking after was more even sided.

I don't think a test would make a difference for cyclists - people take driving tests and still speed, jump lights, drive too close etc. Maybe if the police started giving the on the spot fines for riding on pavements, no lights etc, that they're allowed to, then we'd see a difference. I realise that this could lead to less people cycling, but if it gets rid of the irresponsible ones that give others a bad name, that can only be good in my opinion.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Yes, I thought that the guy from CTC made some good points and also didn't try and defend the RLJing and almost had a side swipe at the pavement cyclists being "too scared" of the road.

Like you say, I'm sure they could have could have counted more than 11 infractions by other road users within the hour, as well as cyclists. 2 wrongs don't make a right and all that though...
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Well, we could have done without the smirks from the presenters, to be honest.

And, with the greatest respect to the CTC, their public face has surely got to be more polished in this media age. The guy on there was eloquent and well informed but there surely must be a cyclist somewhere in Britain with an association with the CTC who can come across less nervous and nerdy.

I'm nervous and nerdy myself, but in the interests of getting the average British driver to see beyond the end of their bonnet, there is a need for them to be able to compare like with like and, sadly, the interview this morning just re-emphasised that cyclists are strange little spindly people who fervently believe in some strange minority activity that is to be taken about as seriously as cheese throwing.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Cheese throwing is a fine upstanding sport thankyouverymuch!

Much more serious than you weirdy bikeycalists!
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Look East, our BBC local TV had a report on Police in Cambridge targeting pavement riders, and riders with no lights etc.
    On the spot fine, and or having a light fitted. Not sure what the options were here, whether it was have the light fitted, or take the fine, or both.

Police spokesman, said it wasn't to raise revenue, although someone must be making some brass out of the lights.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Look East, our BBC local TV had a report on Police in Cambridge targeting pavement riders, and riders with no lights etc.
    On the spot fine, and or having a light fitted. Not sure what the options were here, whether it was have the light fitted, or take the fine, or both.

Police spokesman, said it wasn't to raise revenue, although someone must be making some brass out of the lights.

Our local (South) BBCi news reported today that they are having a clampdown on riders without lights in Oxford with similar on-the-spot fine arrangements. Given the amount of riders I see with either (a) no lights or (b) lights but can't be bothered to use them, it's no bad thing in my opinion; a lot of people seem to have forgotten it's an offence or just assume that the law is all talk and no action and so the Old Bill won't actually bother to nab them.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Slow Downcp
    Good to see - I don't normally agree with police making money from things like this, but if this is what is needed to make cyclists appear better to the general public, then so be it. The only way cycling will be seen as a normal way of life (or a healthy activity) rather than transport for poor people, is for cyclists to tow the line and behave how they'd expect others to.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • The only way cycling will be seen as a normal way of life (or a healthy activity) rather than transport for poor people.

But isn't it ALL those things?

normal way of life (is for me)
    healthy activity (true)
    transport for poor people (true)
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Slow Downcp
    The only way cycling will be seen as a normal way of life (or a healthy activity) rather than transport for poor people.

healthy activity (true)

It is - the point I'm making is that people ONLY see it as transport for poor people.
  • DavidBelcher
    The only way cycling will be seen as a normal way of life (or a healthy activity) rather than transport for poor people.

healthy activity (true)

It is - the point I'm making is that people ONLY see it as transport for poor people.

Seconded - bikes shouldn't be marginalised as a sub-standard alternative solely for the less well off; in that regard they seem to suffer from the same - and in both cases undeserved - poor public perception [1] as buses.

David

[1] Try saying that after 8 pints of London Pride. :wink:
  • It is - the point I'm making is that people ONLY see it as transport for poor people.
    The president of a cycling club I used to be a member of cycled everywhere, by choice, but came to realise that many people who he encountered (and some he knew fairly well) just assumed that he had lost his license due to drink-driving!

So I agree....but would rephrase to say people see it as transport for people who have no other choice.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • DavidBelcher
    The president of a cycling club I used to be a member of cycled everywhere, by choice, but came to realise that many people who he encountered (and some he knew fairly well) just assumed that he had lost his license due to drink-driving!

So I agree....but would rephrase to say people see it as transport for people who have no other choice.

Then again, not sure I would agree with that, either - I use my bike 'cause it's convenient and cheap compared to the bus service through my village (which I do still use sometimes if the bike's off the road, for getting into town early in the evening, or if I've really heavy luggage or shopping to carry about), which in turn is better value than a taxi (which are handy sometimes for getting home from a night on the beer as the buses stop by then). I have tried driving in the past and got as far as failing my 1st test, then packed it in as I found it a waste of both time and money - that was 2 1/2 years ago and frankly I don't regret it, though some people find it odd that I'm in my early 30s and still can't drive. Anyone else had similar experiences on the car front?

David
  • always_tyred

Then again, not sure I would agree with that, either - I use my bike 'cause it's convenient and cheap compared to the bus service through my village (which I do still use sometimes if the bike's off the road, for getting into town early in the evening, or if I've really heavy luggage or shopping to carry about), which in turn is better value than a taxi (which are handy sometimes for getting home from a night on the beer as the buses stop by then). I have tried driving in the past and got as far as failing my 1st test, then packed it in as I found it a waste of both time and money - that was 2 1/2 years ago and frankly I don't regret it, though some people find it odd that I'm in my early 30s and still can't drive. Anyone else had similar experiences on the car front?

David
    I couldn't contemplate not having a car. Its a 20 minute walk to the nearest bus stop and 10 minute walk to a station that has about 6 trains a day and fewer at weekends. Its also a 20 minute walk to the nearest shop, whcih is the sort of shop that sells last week's fruit and veg at a staggeringly high price. Although it would be possible to go everywhere and do everything that I reasonably want to do on a regular basis by public transport, I frankly don't have the time to fart about for hours waiting for said public transport.
    Used correctly, a car also provides freedom to go where you want when you want. The car enables me to get away fromt eh city - sometimes with my bike - when I really need to get away from the city. Used stupidly, for example dropping perfectly able bodied children 10 minutes down the road, or taking yourself and only yourself (i.e. no heavy shopping) to the same place that a myriad of busses and trains are conveniently layed on for you to go at precisely the same time, they are indeed a waste of time.
  • tomgth
    tomgth Posts: 24
    Well, we could have done without the smirks from the presenters, to be honest.

And, with the greatest respect to the CTC, their public face has surely got to be more polished in this media age. The guy on there was eloquent and well informed but there surely must be a cyclist somewhere in Britain with an association with the CTC who can come across less nervous and nerdy.

I'm nervous and nerdy myself, but in the interests of getting the average British driver to see beyond the end of their bonnet, there is a need for them to be able to compare like with like and, sadly, the interview this morning just re-emphasised that cyclists are strange little spindly people who fervently believe in some strange minority activity that is to be taken about as seriously as cheese throwing.

This is bang on - as I watched it I just slapped my head and pictured every White Van man and Bmw/Merc/Audi Rep* exclaiming to themselves "See! THEY are all Square kno*bs!" when in actual fact I am really, really cool!

* = Yes I know this is stereotyping in the same manner
  • (*) It's not stereotyping, it's an accurate observation. A sizeable number of white van man and BMW/Merc/Audi rep types (and others) actively seek to ruin my driving experience on a daily basis. My crime is driving responsibily, carefully, courteously, and within legal limits. These people actually have a greater impact on my driving than my cycling. In chav/estuary man ridden north / north east Kent, I will generally have something driving pathetically close to my rear bumper within three or so minutes of having left home in the car. Sadly, this experience is very, very frequent. At least on my bike I feel somewhat detached from this behaviour especially as I can elect to use some wonderful local car free routes . Consequently, despite the odd car/van related incident, I enjoy riding my bikes far, far more than I enjoy driving a car. And of course, I have the pure luxury of living very close to the channel ports. Bikes go for free on ferries (you just pay £5 or so footpax return fare). This means a day's riding in France is an easy option for me and that is a VERY different experience. You still get reps and white vans in France...but they're not British. This is the crux of our problem ....the BRITISH. At some temporary traffic lights near Les Attaques, a white van pulled up beside me and the window wound down. "Here we go", I thought. Abuse? Nope, the French builder guys wanted to talk to me about my road bike, my jersey, where I'd been, how far I'd been. It tested my poor French but was a delight! Cars give way for you at junctions...and wait for you! Yes, it's true! BUT...If you do a cycling daytrip to France, a word of warning: Beware of Brit cars/van in the Calais area. They'll overtake even closer and still give you THAT LOOK. Britain's the problem.
    Living in East Kent has it's perks. France is 21 miles away. A very different riding experience!
  • always_tyred
    Sad but true.

As I type, I'm casting my eyes around for something blunt to impale myself upon.

(Please do not respond to this post by pointing out that it is not strictly possible to impale one's self on a blunt object, since impale is to pierce something with a pointed object)
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    it is not strictly possible........
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:

Look, I'm sorry I used your avatar on the gym thread......
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:

:?:

You are too quick for me today

Edit: that was not kind.... my p.f. holding out very nicely ta (pokes tongue out)
    Anyway, my legs aren't that long....
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Edit: that was not kind.... my p.f. holding out very nicely ta (pokes tongue out)

What happened to your avatar anyway? You had such variety there for a while.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    So who has emailed GMTV about this then?

I havent watched that program for 2 years. It became like the Daily Mail on the box and started to do me head in. Then the presenters would go off on one, trying to provoke people into a dramatic response, and then turn to camera as if to say: "See. I told you they were a wrong'un"
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

It could be worse - at least you don't look like me.

http://worldwide-web.com/JeffreyBabad/S ... /frink.gif
  • Is this web-take representative of the broadcast report that's got everyone up in arms? (I'm a BBC watcher, myself)
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Is this web-take representative of the broadcast report that's got everyone up in arms? (I'm a BBC watcher, myself)

If you have a look at that poll (should we take a test - ignorning the fact that the vast majority of cyclists already drive) it seems to suggest we should all have to sit an exam and do a practical. :roll: Typical reactionary audience of theirs - they'll be calling us perverts for wearing lycra next. :lol:
  • always_tyred
    Is this web-take representative of the broadcast report that's got everyone up in arms? (I'm a BBC watcher, myself)

Yes. Strangely they missed out Ben Sheperd's question about red light running. Which was obviously relevant. Tit.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Who the f*ck cares what GMTV say about anything?
  • always_tyred
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Who the f*ck cares what GMTV say about anything?

Sadly, I do not have exclusive use of the remote control.

Besides, when the smug pillock from the BBC comes on and smilingly tells me every single bloody morning that there are more figures showing that there is a recession, I sometimes turn over, in a "My God, Holmes, how did you know?" fit of pique.

I thought the point of news is that its new.
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

What happened to your avatar anyway? You had such variety there for a while.

I'm working on it.As you know, technology (and making pics the right size) is not my forte :?