Londoners... and other people where its snowing

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Will you be going to work tomorrow?

Will you be cycling in?

If i go in i shall cycle because if a car/bus can get up or down my road to the tube then i can cycle in. But i shall wear about 5 layers and full tights

Im actually looking forward to it

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Nope, don't think so.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    It's snowing in London?

*looks out window*

Nope, not here.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Looks nice for the morning according to the BBC at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/24hr.shtml?world=0008
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I'll be going in on t'motorbike.

Fortunately all the roads I go on are major enough to have been gritted. Just packing a bag of work clothes now, so I can go in in my full-on it's-fucking-freezing-why-am-I-on-a-motorbike outfit.

Got in about ten minutes ago (again from the motorbike), there's ice in my hair...
  • At this time of year it will all have melted by the morning. Bit extreme for October though, still!
    <a>road</a>
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Big Red S wrote:

Fortunately all the roads I go on are major enough to have been gritted. Just packing a bag of work clothes now, so I can go in in my full-on it's-*******-freezing-why-am-I-on-a-motorbike outfit.

Got in about ten minutes ago (again from the motorbike), there's ice in my hair...

I can't believe anyone would consider not going into work at what is essentiall a flurry of snow!. this country is so ill prepared when it comes to any kind of weather. the fact that we have plenty of notice and we still get caught short.

I have been stuck in a snow storm in Toronto where the roads have been snowed over and is almost knee deep and yet traffic still gets by...now THAT was snow!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I do love how as soon as there's a hint of snow, the whole of the country/city grinds to a halt.

If it's not snowing, but still likely to be icy, everyone carries on as normal...
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Buses are good for cutting grooves through to the tar, Cars on [b[]Winter[/b] tyres are good for driving in winter conditions, cars on Summer/Normal tyres are hit and miss.

Ask someone from Canadia or Scandinavia to drive roud nthe M25 in a snow "storm" and they will probably start practicing Scandinavian Flicks to keep ammused.

Don't get much snow driving or Cycling here, been below zero most of the day though, no snow yet :( and the forecast has gone from snow and cold for the rest of the week to Indian Summer. :x
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    NGale wrote:
    Big Red S wrote:

Fortunately all the roads I go on are major enough to have been gritted. Just packing a bag of work clothes now, so I can go in in my full-on it's-*******-freezing-why-am-I-on-a-motorbike outfit.

I can't believe anyone would consider not going into work at what is essentiall a flurry of snow!. this country is so ill prepared when it comes to any kind of weather. the fact that we have plenty of notice and we still get caught short.

I have been stuck in a snow storm in Toronto where the roads have been snowed over and is almost knee deep and yet traffic still gets by...now THAT was snow!

In fairness, they are prepared for it because its guaranteed to come and then its pretty much guaranteed to stay. So they all have the right tyres.

Now, I've been in Vancouver when it snows and it complete hysteria just like here. I mean, seriously, I remember once cycling past abandoned cars. Really, if I was cycling, it wasn't that bad.
  • Commute from SE London this morning was great, now snow or ice on the roads.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I rode in this morning, a few patches of ice but mostly ok. My housemate was amazed I was going to ride in "on those skinny tyres! with no grip!".
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    it was a bit cold sure... but lovely sunshine... isn't thursday supposed to be a be grotty?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    there was snow in manchester this morning but not that much, a frosting really

there were less sliding moments this morning than on the recent rain days, I had no great problems on my 700x23s although I was riding slower than normal...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    NGale, I didn't mean I wasn't going to go to work! Just not on my bike. And then I looked at the sunshine this morning and decided to anyway, and I'm really pleased I did, it was lovely.

Only negative was that my Briko headband thing seemed pretty ineffectual and caused a rushing sound in my ears (and made my glasses hard to put on. Time to get a buff I think.
  • Lovely today, but freakin' cold! Hurry up and deliver my tights/buff!

In fact, the tights have just arrived on my desk. Hurrah!
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    Roads were great this morning, didn't see another cyclist going my way until 5 miles into my journey (normally see about 30). Wrapped up well with buff, face warmer and skull cap. Only problem was the face warmer directed my breath onto my glasses and they misted up. :roll:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i went to work but decided against cycling as my road was a sheet of ice and i live on a very steep hill, i did in fact slip down it on my feet so god knows what would of happened on my single speed