Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners


bornagaincyclerbornagaincycler Posts: 87
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Should you be covered by insurance while riding with a club..?? Does anyone out there belong to a club, which provides insurance cover..?? Do clubs actually provide this..?? If so what type cover is it..?? Confused by this question.


  • John.TJohn.T Posts: 3,698
    In order. Yes, no, don't know but I doubt it.
    All cyclists should be covered for 3rd party risks. This may be covered by your house insurance but check. Better to join either the CTC or British Cycling or LVRC (if you are a vet). These all give 3rd party cover as part of membership. All BC and CTT races have 3rd party cover during the event and many Sportives will also. Check with the organiser.
    If you want cover for damage to your bike or yourself you will need to take out insurance to cover this. The bike may be covered on the house insurance, usually up to a value of £1000. Above this you can often get cover added to the house insurance as a special item. My 2 good bikes are covered this way for around £50 a year. This does not cover when racing. For this you will need to spend quite a bit more.
    I hope you are now a little less confused. It can be a bit of a minefield.
  • BronzieBronzie Posts: 4,927
    Membership of (British Cycling's leisure cycling section) for £24/year also covers you for 3rd party risks.

    Frankly, it's pretty unlikely you'll ever need to resort to using 3rd party cover, but in the event that you did cause someone an injury, and they did claim from you, you'll certainly be glad it's there.
Sign In or Register to comment.