Scott CR1 comp

samthomas224
samthomas224 Posts: 42
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Any opinions on this bike? I have been looking at getting one and think it would be a good first road bike.

Would be great to have some feedback from someone who has owned one for a while.

Cheers

Comments

• cj504
    cj504 Posts: 110
    Hi, I've got the pro? (the one with a yellow headtube from last year?)

As a frame and fork I would recommend it to everybody! I absolutely love it, its so taught and yet somehow isn't unbearable for 4 odd hours in the saddle (a toupe in my case) When you get out of the saddle there's no flex and you feel the power going straight into propelling you forwards.
    The issue I have with the newer models is that they seem to have aksiums where the olders had ksyrium equipes and so on. That wheel in no way matches the frames performance in my books. I guess that this makes it an ideal first bike because upgrading can be done with wheels, drivetrain etc when needed. Hope this helps!
    Thresholds, 60-80%, HRM's...I'll just go for a ride
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    I have a pro and a comp (and a speedster). The frames are fantastic - comfortable and responsive and i am a big guy. Neither wheelset was up to my destructive powers so always have hand builts. Top nike and eminently upgradeable(im still upgrading mine!)
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    cj504 wrote:
    Hi, I've got the pro? (the one with a yellow headtube from last year?)

As a frame and fork I would recommend it to everybody! I absolutely love it, its so taught and yet somehow isn't unbearable for 4 odd hours in the saddle (a toupe in my case) When you get out of the saddle there's no flex and you feel the power going straight into propelling you forwards.
    The issue I have with the newer models is that they seem to have aksiums where the olders had ksyrium equipes and so on. That wheel in no way matches the frames performance in my books. I guess that this makes it an ideal first bike because upgrading can be done with wheels, drivetrain etc when needed. Hope this helps!

Have my CR1 Team for about a month now and the Aksiums are heavy and the tires that come with it (Hutchinson Equinox) just compound that. When you put a set of lighter wheels on the bike you really appreciate just how good it is.

The handling is just so much more direct than my other bike and as such the slightest little move of handlebars meant the bike just went that way whereas my other bike is a lot more forgiving to my inadequate handling however I have now got used to this though did scare the crap out of me descents until I got a handle on it.

Love the bike. I haven't done any long rides on it yet (max 2 hours) therefore can't comment on how comfortable it is over longer distances. If reviews elsewhere are anything to go by then some can find it a little harsh however this is race oriented bike after all as such it isn't going to ride with the comfort of something like a roubaix.