GHow muddy is Cannock chase this time of year???

milkywhite
milkywhite Posts: 534
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
I'll be riding it next weekend for the first time, so wanted a heads up on what conditions to expect.

Much mud?

Comments

• You doing follow the dog or stile cop?

FTD has got the worst (read muddiest) sections closed off at the mo, so should be fine in the wet. I rode it in the wet recently and had a blast. Even if it bogs you down its pretty short so that won't matter so much.

If you get time head over to Stile Cop and ride the DH tracks. All good fun in the wet!
  • Reckon it'll be FTD. We're on a weekend long event staying at Cosford off the M54, and I think it'll be guided rides, so deviation from the main group probably won't be an option.

Sounds OK though. I don't mind a bit of mud, but I was at Thetford on Monday and the mud on the black route was BRUTAL. Serious gloop...puddles up over our hubs. Spent more time cleaning the bike afterwards than we did riding!
  • How long is the follow the dog route, Im heading there myself next week and was wondering how long its, or how long it takes - any ideas?

(Sorry to jump in - just seemed a relavant place to ask :)
    There is nothing more unequal, than the equal treatment of unequals!
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    How Long ???

How fast do you ride ?

The length is about 6-7 miles non stop I normally do it in about 45 mins non stop.

sections 11-12 closed at the moment.

Still plenty of other areas to explore - head for sherbrook valley or the SEA for some different terain and look for other unofficial trails - there all a bit muddy at the moment though.

enjoy!
  • Cheers bud :)
  • Has anyone any odeas one where I can find some info on planning a longer route? Are their other trails to follow or is it a case of buy a OS map. Ive had a look online but Im come up short? Thanks :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    tonyeynon wrote:
    Has anyone any odeas one where I can find some info on planning a longer route? Are their other trails to follow or is it a case of buy a OS map. Ive had a look online but Im come up short? Thanks :)
    The Dog is a fairly short and interesting red but you can ride pretty much anywhere on the Chase, the rights-of-way are all bridleways. There is also a great network of buff singletrack away from the main routes.