Red and yellow Shimano SPD-sl cleats

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2011 in The workshop
What's the difference between the red and yellow shimano spd-sl cleats?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Red are fixed. Yellow have float.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • DonDaddyD
    FCE2007 wrote:
    Red are fixed. Yellow have float.

Thank you, but what does that mean?

Are there benefits to one over the other? What are the differences - in greater detail because I don't fully understand what you mean by 'fixed' and 'float'.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Float allows your foot to move a certain amount even when attached to the pedal. Fixed means it is stuck in one position. While this may be more efficient, it can also lead to knee issues if the angle of your foot isn't exactly right.

Why do you want SPD-SLs? Are you starting racing?
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    Float allows your foot to move a certain amount even when attached to the pedal. Fixed means it is stuck in one position. While this may be more efficient, it can also lead to knee issues if the angle of your foot isn't exactly right.

Why do you want SPD-SLs? Are you starting racing?

The pedals I bought with the bike were SPD-SLs. They were reccomended by someone on this site in the beginners forum. I actually like them and have no difficulty walking in them.

However, given the life cycle of the actual shoes (be lucky if I get six months out of them) and the amount of clip-in/clip-out I do, I will probably convert to SPDs at some point.

Though Greg66 has SPD-SLs he doesn't race and he's really cool....
    Food Chain number = 4

• RyanTuck
    RyanTuck Posts: 1
    You can make your cleats last longer by using cleat covers. All you have to do is slip them on when you get off your bike and you're good to go.

I recommend buying Kool Kovers—they fit right and last a long time. Also, they just made a cover that works for both the fixed and float Shimano SPD-SL Models. Check out their website or try your local shop. (www.koolkovers.com)

Good luck man and enjoy the ride.