Be Safe Out There Today

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Morning All. Just about to leave for work, Going to do a 15 Mile "long way round" to work this morning, looks VERY ICY outside (BBC are quoting Current Nearest Observations for me are Minus 1) so take it easy on your way in.

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• gb155 wrote:
    BBC are quoting Current Nearest Observations for me are Minus 1

They were quoting 1 or 2 for us in east anglia, but it's more like -1.
    Quite a frost. Lovely sunrise, and the crisp white frosted fields, just beautiful.
    The only thing car drivers will see is an inconvenience of a windscreen to scrape :?
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Very cold and icy in West Yorks... Brrrrr
    Ride a bike.... be happy.
  • They were quoting 1 or 2 for us in east anglia, but it's more like -1.
    Quite a frost. Lovely sunrise, and the crisp white frosted fields, just beautiful.
    The only thing car drivers will see is an inconvenience of a windscreen to scrape :?

Yup, my thermo said below 2 this morning when I left home.
    There was a lovely mist over the Wensum valley and a red sunrise over the trees.
    All the cagers must have missed it :lol:
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • 2 inches of snow up here today, time to switch to the knobblys for the morning commute 8)
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Only the footbridge was slippery for me.
    Beautiful morning once nicely wrapped up and pedaling.
  • dirk_van_gently
    dirk_van_gently Posts: 826
    edited October 2008
    This thread says something about what cycling does for your soul.
    It's freezing, and we are all cheery about it :D
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    @Dirk Van Gently +1

I'm still off the bike with a gammy hip (ooo me aging bones), but despite the cold and wet I'm still itching for my morning cycle :(
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - usual train and bike in this morning and looking forward to cycling 14 miles home in the freezing cold and dark. 8)

Did I just type that????? :shock:

Got the right cold weather gear with me... face is warm, feet are fine, gloves are THICK.

I really am looking forward to the ride home! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    chilly on yer...billy in Bucks, big hard frost lots of slippy leaves and sh1tty surfaces that the council think pass for bike lanes in the "cycle friendly" town of Aylesbury

But a lovely day, no wind, and I'd rather cold than wet

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    The most dangerous bit of my commute was the concrete ramp down into the work car park. Someone had liberally sprinkled it with salt so it was like cycling over ball bearings, albeit rough, non-spherical ones :x
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What a beautiful morning to ride a bike and not be stuck on a train. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • +1 to dirkvangently and cjcp!

Stunning day. The tracksuit bottoms I threw on this morning in response to my freezing legs last night may have been overkill, but what a wonderful morning! Not a breath of wind, cool and crisp, fantastic.

However, I am jealous of dirkvangently in East Anglia - I live out there on weekends, and used to commute from there, love the cold frosty slightly misty mornings...
  • girv73 wrote:
    I'm still off the bike with a gammy hip (ooo me aging bones), :(

Have you tried taking Glucosamine?

Personal experience of has been good, certainly helped my joints repair.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    girv73 wrote:

Ditto. I take that stuff and High Strength Cod Liver Oil.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited October 2008
    cjcp wrote:
    girv73 wrote:

Ditto. I take that stuff and High Strength Cod Liver Oil.

With the oil, definitely +1, I don't need the glucosamine yet.

But do have the actual seven seas oil rather than the oil capsules - my mother maintains that the process of getting the oil into the capsules somehow removes some of the goodness.

And she knows stuff about this type of thing so I believe her!

It also does wonders for your skin and hair...

EDIT: Have just found out that you don't get the vitamin A and D in teh capsules as the oil itself is processed. That's probably what mother meant.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oddly - the Veggie alternative gives a purer source of Omega-3 and the fatty acids (go straight to the source as it were)

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/seven-se ... _5388.html
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • gb155
    T'was a great ride this morning, The best I have had in the 6 months or so I have been commuting, Low sun, ground mist, NIIIICE, Tonight was nice too just not quite as nice, The mornings forcast says snow......EKKKKKK !

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    I am going to get well and truly soaked on the way home.

It's coming down nice and steady, thougth not as hard as earlier, was torrential.

And thanks to the 'new' and improved bike parking at work, my bike will have been getting rained on all afternoon :roll:
    @rseholes.

I shall be donning my waterproofs shortly, and heading out at 6, 24 min to go.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I am going to get well and truly soaked on the way home.
    I got rained on, big style. Made me wish I'd bought the overshoes I was looking at on Saturday. Ah well. :roll:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Pissing down and very cold in Soho, and the bike awaits me in about 10 minutes. At least in London I know nothing's going to be frozen, and if I'm honest, tomorrow morning might just be a bit too cold for me to choose two wheels :oops:
  • Heavy snow in Birmingham this afternoon. I left work early at 4pm - taking it nice and slow - as the snow stings my face if I go any faster. Had all lights on flash settings and of all the times for f**kwit drivers to pass too close - They probably can't see well out the left of windscreens due to snow. No fun cycling in snow though.
    Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Non-Violent Egalitarian Chess: 32 grey pawns all on the same side
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    girv73 wrote:

Is that the stuff the improves calcium absorbtion in bones?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Hail, thnder & lighning all within 30 mins today in Brizzle just after dinnertime. glad I'm not on the bike today but wish I was as I've got a blister on the heel of my foot and walking hurts :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The most beautiful commute this morning - lovely sunshine, clear blue sky, crispy crunchy ground. Arrived in the office to choruses of "ooooh you're brave in this weather" which made no sense to me 'cos I couldn't think of a nicer way to get to work (other than maybe hot air balloon, but that's a smidge impractical) and I was toasty warm to boot from my efforts :D

That's ying, and yang was coming home - dark, very wet and chilly - but I still enjoyed it in a funny sort of way...
    FCN 10
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Well, I was cycling home in nice clear weather tonight, then rained on, pelted with hail, knocked around by severe wind, sort of snowed on and blasted by freezing air.

And literally that was all in about 200 metres at the south end of Cheyne Walk just after I'd passed Albert Bridge, then it settled to a nice steady rain which persisted most of the rest of the way home.

Straight into a warm shower for me, but my feet are still cold!
  • psutton
    psutton Posts: 206
    Glucosamine and chondroitin - generally made from shellfish and crustaceous things so to be avoided if you are allergic to such creepy crawlies like me! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • gb155
    Minus 3 This Morning, LOADS OF FROST and ICE about, I will be leaving pretty soon, Cant wait :D:D:D

• Glucosamine and chondroitin, that's the stuff, not sure about the calcium absorbsion in bones thing, however it helps damaged joints heal, and helps arthritis sufferers like me.

Cracking morning here in sunny east anglia, bloody cold, but a lovely ride in, beautiful sunrise again. Roads were a bit scary in places, it rained here last night, and then froze!

:shock:
  • Great commute from SE London this morning, cold but dry. I couldn't tell if there had been any snow until I got to work in Islington and noticed some of the roof tops were white. Didn't realise London south of the river is that bit warmer than north London.
  • gb155
    FANTASIC Commute this morning, rapped up all warm, My toes were FREEZING though but was crisp, icy and misty, LOVE IT