Supplements for training

davehiscock
davehiscock Posts: 23
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

My name is Dave and i am new to the world of road biking,

I have been biking now for 7 months and have gone from 10 miles and being shattered to going 50 miles and feeling o.k . i am now thinking of supplements and a training program but i dont have a clue of how to do both or what to buy???

Im currently 25 and im slim build, with a natural strengh, which has come from working on site as a plumber for 10 years. I really want to step forward and continue training which is why i have purchased a set of TACX rollers, but again need help on what to-do next. PLAESE HELP!!!!!!!

Many thanks Dave
Trek 5200 oclv

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If your thinking of supplements as in energy drinks and vitamin tablets - I would save your money .

I would suggest the next step is to buy a heart rate monitor and work out your zones - a search on the web for 'cycle training with a HRM ' - should give you the basics of a getting started training program .

you might then want to consider what your goals are - be it weight loss, distance, or competing in a TT ....
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    I'd get a whole load of maltodextrin off somewhere like myprotein.co.uk , good source of carbs to mix into your water bottles, it's cheaper than energy powders (these are mainly maltodextrim along with sodium/other nutrients).
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Supplements like Protein Shakes are good for recovery as its basically just giving your body what it needs.

Sport Supplements UK do a good deal on a 24hr protein stack which has Whey Protein Isolate (for morning and post-workout) and Milk Protein Isolate (for before bed).

This was the stack:

http://www.sportsupplementsuk.com/epage ... 20Stack%22

There's quite a lot of other company's out there who also sell sport supplements like All in one etc, but i would stay clear of maximuscle as it can be ridiculously expensive.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Besides the usual in ride and after ride drink I don't buy any particular supplement or any type of tablet except a good holland & barett muli-vitamin and eat lots of fruit n veg, I have a low iron count for a bloke of 11.5, somot to do with the fact I have had a kidney transplant so I like to try and boost my blood iron levels with iron and iron rich food.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I usually have a protein shake (SIS Re-Go) if I do a fast 30 miles+ (avg 19mph or more), which helps stop the onset of aches a pains afterwards. Also I take glucosamine sulphate supplements which really help keep the joints strong and healthy. It was reccomended to me a few years ago by a friend who's in the Royal Marines as he used it because of knee and shoulder problems (his basic kit weighs upwards of 120lbs and he has to run about carrying it on his back).

Other than those I wouldn't get too much into the odd world of sports nutrition and just make sure you eat 3 healthy and hearty meals a day. If you do a long ride make sure you eat plenty of good fuel so that you don't end up running out of glycogen / fat and start metabolising muscle instead. 1 hour of riding at 17mph+ on your own will burn upto 1100 calories (dependent on weight), so having a couple of Nutri-grain Elevenses or a Flapjack or something will really help.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Once you start exercising beyond 2 hours you really need to start thinking about refuelling on a ride, either through energy drinks or food. Whilst things like bananas, dried fruit and certain cereal bars help on the food front, you may be best looking at proprietary energy drinks such as SIS. Avoid the supermarket stuff like Lucozade sport - too sickly and expensive. For general training, try and take 1g carbs for every hour of exercise for every kilo of bodyweight e.g. if you weight 80kg, take 80g carbs/hour. When it's hot or when working hard you also need to replace electrolytes lost through sweating using a sports drinks. Maltodextrin mentioned above is a complex-carb and won't help replace any electrolytes. A well-balanced diet should help with your nutritional needs - but you might need iron and certain vitamin supplements if a veggie
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Once you start exercising beyond 2 hours you really need to start thinking about refuelling on a ride, either through energy drinks or food. Whilst things like bananas, dried fruit and certain cereal bars help on the food front, you may be best looking at proprietary energy drinks such as SIS. Avoid the supermarket stuff like Lucozade sport - too sickly and expensive. For general training, try and take 1g carbs for every hour of exercise for every kilo of bodyweight e.g. if you weight 80kg, take 80g carbs/hour. When it's hot or when working hard you also need to replace electrolytes lost through sweating using a sports drinks. Maltodextrin mentioned above is a complex-carb and won't help replace any electrolytes. A well-balanced diet should help with your nutritional needs - but you might need iron and certain vitamin supplements if a veggie

Yup, but it's £15-£20 for a tub of 1.8kg SIS GO, which is 98% maltodextrin + flavourings + electrolites.

For about £20 you can buy 5kg maltodextrin + electrolite powder. And flavour it with whatever flavour squash you like.

Not too sure on the ingrediants in things like Rego so can't comment, but I assume it's probably a tad overpriced for what you're actually getting.