The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2009 in The Crudcatcher
I hate vista with a passion, wish i'd brought my mac home :cry:

Comments

• Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    edited October 2008
    tis a pain in the ass to be honest. i like some of the funtioanlity and fancy bits but in general as an OS its pretty bad. I had a right job installing my printer, and it still doesnt work properly.

My work laptop has XP Pro. Much better
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    I've just installed OpenSolaris, and so far, it's amazing.

Not such great hardware support, though.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I buy all laptops with XP Pro too. I hate Vista and don't want valuable memory taken up by running a dodgy phat, lardy, crud OS.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    the new MS office is a bigger pain, and is a nightmare to use, especially if you are used to 2003 like me. We've had to spend a fortune at work on a new email server to allow us run Outlook 2007 properly. Bill Gates has a lot to answer for!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Big Red S
    Rich9 wrote:
    the new MS office is a bigger pain, and is a nightmare to use, especially if you are used to 2003 like me. We've had to spend a fortune at work on a new email server to allow us run Outlook 2007 properly. Bill Gates has a lot to answer for!

Not really. Much of the reason business is so dependent on MS products is because the education system of this country decided that teaching IT shouldn't consist of actually teaching IT, but teaching the use of MS software.

The difficulty in running other systems is in interoperating with Microsoft products, not in actually using them.

It'd (generally) be entirely possible for your employer to make a wholesale shift to something more user-friendly. Potentially not right now in this economic climate (where retraining's expensive) but in a year or so, when the MS tax comes up again, it'd be a whole lot more appealing.
  • well my dad has recently upgraded to vista...he comp was amazing on xp...really fast performance and you hardly noticed any loading times.
    now though, it crashes when trying to open a new explorer tab, wont run any games and runs so many programmes in the background its unbelievable!!

my mac mine is less than half the power than this thing, starts up in about 10 seconds, no loading times and just works! i'm running xp on it aswell, and have no problems at all!

downgrading the PC to xp pro later on today, but putting a vista skin on it so my dad doesn't notice :D
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    I love Vista, I've had it since day 1 and it's been near enough faultless.

I work in IT and all my colleagues give me grief as they are all Vista haters!

I've also just built a vista media centre, it records tv, plays blu ray and hd-dvd, plays mp3's and displays photos.

My dvd player, sky box and freeview box are now all collecting dust!

Turn off all the Aero cr*p and over zealous security settings and it flies.

Don't knock it till youi've tried it :D

Stu

:D
  • Big Red S
    Stuww wrote:
    I love Vista, I've had it since day 1 and it's been near enough faultless.

I work in IT and all my colleagues give me grief as they are all Vista haters!

I've also just built a vista media centre, it records tv, plays blu ray and hd-dvd, plays mp3's and displays photos.

My dvd player, sky box and freeview box are now all collecting dust!

Turn off all the Aero cr*p and over zealous security settings and it flies.

Don't knock it till youi've tried it :D

Heh. We demo'd Vista to see if we'd adopt it...

You know you can do all the media centre bits and pieces without having to devote a substantial proportion of your resources to checking you're not doing things you're allowed to do with files you thought you owned?

In all honesty, though, my biggest problem with Vista is that traditionally a software upgrade consists of either doing the same job with fewer resources, or a better job with the same (or some combination of the two).
    From my experiences with trying Vista, it meets neither. It takes longer to do everything, and doesn't seem to do anything markedly better than the competition.
    There's also been no advance on the frankly dire hardware compatability of previous versions of Windows, despite vague promises to the contrary from MS.
    The fact that it's a right pain to install and repair, and is laden with DRM is mostly secondary to the fact it's just not as good as anything else...
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Sorry to drag this post up again....

But for the record - I love Vista!

Thought I would hate it - took a bit of time getting used to it, but now I wouldnt go back.

With regard to hardware compatibiltiy - thats not MS fault - thats the hardware manufacturers fault for not creating decent drivers.

For corporate use though, I can understand people holding back and keeping XP - I even advise it to my customers, purely for the sake of older software running on it. As upgrading to new software for all workstations on a network can be very expensive.

As said though Office 2007 was a bigger issue - and is an issue for our customers, especially older typists as it just looks very different.

I have no problems with speed either - my laptop is a 2GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and its plenty whizzy enough.

I personally don't like Macs, as I can't see them doing anything better than a well setup pc - but thats just personal preference.
  • Urgh I'm sick of it. It automatically backs up loads of files and eats into your hard drive space, I have to clear out about 8GB of backup files a week to stop it hitting the size limit. There's nothing here I couldn't do on my old XP system. It seems like it's been designed to be really user friendly if you've never used a computer before, but like most people I have used one before and I just find a lot of it unnecessary. No way I could use it on my work laptop.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • New OS is out soon :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrJCx_nK0eM

:lol: typical windows!!
  • gcwebbyuk
    Nick - all that can be turned off.

It is set up from the box for anyones use, but if you know what you are doing, you can turn stuff off and just use the bits you need etc.
  • gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Nick - all that can be turned off.

It is set up from the box for anyones use, but if you know what you are doing, you can turn stuff off and just use the bits you need etc.

I'm sure you can, but I don't think I should have to. I spent ages running virus and spyware checks trying to figure out why my hard drive was filling itself with gigabytes of mystery files before I found out it was Vista backing stuff up. Makes me wonder what else it's doing that I don't know about.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I don't have it but it's still annoying me- a friend has sent me a data CD burned in Vista and XP can't read it :evil:
  • gcwebbyuk
    Backup is a good thing though!

You would be kicking yourself if you lost data and then wished you had backed it up!

But I do agree the eating up of hard disk space is a p.i.t.a. - Just recovered a huge chunk of my 320gb disk by turning off shadow copies - but then I backup using Carbonite internet backup and Acronis to an external backup drive, so am fairly safe.
  • Just get a mac ;)
  • your just jealous :P
  • gcwebbyuk
    I would love to love Macs - i think to look at they are great and their build quality seems good.

I just don't get Mac OS - it seems to work, but then so does Linux etc.

I have grown up with PCs and find everything they do logical (to some extent) so have never had a problem finding out how to do something on them.

And before the Macs dont crash argument starts, every time I visit a site where someone there has a Mac, they seem to be having problems with it, its just they don't "crash" they just seem to have little "issues" that the user chooses to hide from people to make them not look bad!

Its like the Alfa Romeo breaking down argument - I leased a brand new one for 3 months before I gave it back as it broke down twice in that time. But then I would happily go and buy one now if I could afford it - just for the looks and the owner's experience.

Bottom line, each to their own 8)
  • fair enough.
    I grew up with PC's too, and they always really pissed me off. Nothing ever works properly 1st time on a PC.

1st time I used a mac, it was a bit odd i'll admit. but after reading up and basically playing around its just so much easier and user friendly.

Compared to mac, windows is just way too overly complicated. I know people say "oh your paying for the look/image/style" but I don't think you are. Its just that the mac has a minimalist look about it so people relate it to style, but it really does have a minimalist function too.

The new Leopard OSX is amazing. Its got so many features on it that are easy to use and understand that I don't know how I put up with Microsoft for so long!

I'm on my 2nd mac now, and have never had a problem!! The new mac's are very solid machines indeed, and the fact that there are only maybe 1 or 2 different versions of each model makes choosing them easier. There much be a million combinations of PC, again over complicated!

Edit: If anyone was thinking about a mac, i'd def pop into one of their stored and ask for a personal overview. You'll pick it up in no time!
  • gcwebbyuk
    I would consider getting a Mac as a second computer, so I can learn more about the OS to support our customers.

May look for a second hand one on ebay at some point

Maybe

I feel as an IT professional I should really have a good understanding of the different OSs.

Tried Linux for a few weeks, but it didnt do anything better than Windows and I dont have any customers that use it so gave up.

What sort of money is a half decent mac these days - 2nd hand that is?
  • ummmm depends what model you want..
    I've got an 08 macbook pro, i've seen online outlets selling them boxed for around £800-£850.

For a MBP expect to pay between £700+ for an 08 model, not much less for 07's (used on ebay.)
    Normal 08 macbooks are selling for £600-£700 depending on condition.

if you want a mac just to play about with, i'd recommend the mac mini (new). I had one (its gone to the gf now) but its an amazing little machine....ran faster than my dads PC which was really quite high spec.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    The best fix for Vista is format and install XP pro instead !! Vista is a stop gap until the new OS arrives !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    everything microsoft is pants.

If they made bikes you'd all be pushing them instead of riding them.
  • gcwebbyuk
    jstock - that is a very flipant comment!

People seem to hate microsoft - but I personally can't see why!

There are a lot of software companies out there who are FAR worse, its just they are smaller and therefore dont get the same press.

People seem to hate them because they are succesful