Scottish Roadtrip and Mountain Biking- Need Your Advice

theseawind
theseawind Posts: 7
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Hello there! I'm new to the forum and originally came from the States. I'm heading out for one week of solo road trip and mountain biking in Scotland starting this weekend. However, given the constant rain, my limited knowledge of local trails/ weather conditions, rumors of snow and potential road closure, I don't know where I should start. May be I could get some help from the locals of this forum. Here are a few concerns:

1. Which trails are best designed to ride under the rainy condition of early November.
2. Which region/ trails/ area I should stay away this time of the year?
2. How is the weather in Northern part of Scotland in early November in compare with the South and Central regions. Are the Highlands accessible by car given the weather in the next week?
3. Are there any group rides that I may join in during my stay?
4. What should I do and don't in Scotland as a mountain biker, solo traveler and driver. (Driving a manual van on the left side will be an interesting experience at least for the first couple of days)

As for the level, I'm a typical B/B- CX rider. I have been ridden some of the red rated trails here in the UK, but would also like to try out some black ones if time allows. All advices are appreciated.

On the side note: is there any rider who'd like to play local guide?

Comments

• streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    To be on the safe side I would aim for the biking mecca of Glentress, near Peebles, in the scottish borders. Glentress has a good range of well marked trails and features something for everyone, as well as cafe, bike shop and shower facilities. Ten minutes down the road is Innerleithen, which has one very good red/black xc trail as well as many downhill trails.

Edinburgh is 40 minutes drive away.

We were up in the highlands this weekend at Laggan and Golspie. The weather up in Golspie was very changeble from sun at the trail head to sleet and icy winds at the top. The weather in the borders is usually a bit more favourable in November.
  • Hi,
    I suppose it depends on what your after. If you fancy a "journey" as such, the West Highland Way has some excellent riding, mixed in with a bit of hike with bike too. The scenery is spectacular, and its not too high that you will get serious problems from snow. Just need to wrap up well as it will be cold! The lower section of the walk, along Loch Lomondside is apparently difficult to ride, so I rode from Inverarnan to Fort William, and it was excellent. Got the train from Glasgow to Ardlui, and then train back from Fort William
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    There is great riding around Aviemore - pop into Bothy bikes and they'll sell you some great trail maps. The problem with that area (the Caingorms) is high snowfall and low temperatures. The West of Scotland (perhaps Skye) should be warmer but may well have a higher rainfall. The Trossochs (North of Glasgow) have some good riding too. In fact there's great riding vitually all over Scotland.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks everyone for your advices. I will keep the list of potential trails handy. In fact, Glentress is on the list for Saturday. :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Glentress is quite weatherproof too, very well built and armoured trails.
    Uncompromising extremist