Feek

hondafanatic
hondafanatic Posts: 213
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
It's dark out there... :shock:

:shock:
<insert witty comment here>

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.

Comments

• mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    On my desk in front of me I have 3 reflective armbands, one with flashing LEDs and a new hi-viz vest.

The Bowery downstairs is all Mad-maxed out with two Tesco specials added to the 4 Smarts.

I dunno. Is it enough.....?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Isn't it just. There'll not be a sniff of sunlight now on the commute home for months to come.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608
    It is isn't it, and I'm not off for another 40 minutes, will be proper pitch by the time I leave.

The first proper outing for the Ayup's tonight on the way home :twisted:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • It's been really sunny here all day...cold, but very bright. Then BHAM....it's pitch black. I've got my lights etc, have done all month, but wow it's a bit of a shock for someone that's is normally half way home by 17:10.

Also, I have calculated my FCN as 12...although I have no idea what that actually means.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    welcome to winter riding :(
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I made it home in low light just before darkness fell, I normally leave between 4.30 and 6 oh joy this will be fun.....
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • I shouted at 3 people GET SOME LIGHTS on the way home :cry:
    <a>road</a>
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608
    I shouted at 3 people GET SOME LIGHTS on the way home :cry:

Did any of them have lights?!

That would confuse them :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • While driving to pick the missus up, I passed a cyclist with small basic lights. Damn, (s)he was invisible except for that flashing red LED. A few miles on, I passed an oncoming cyclist with two bright headlights on his handlebars. "Good one", I thought, as I looked in my wing mirror in order to see his rear lighting. I was a bit surprised to see a row of four tiny blue LEDs gracing his seatpost! :shock:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    me, I;m lit up like christmas with my bike during the winter months, even had a light fitted to my rucksack just in case the other three fail...methinks I am a little paranoid! :lol: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    It's dark out there... :shock:

:shock:

It did seem dark tonight! My 10 mile off road was pitch black most of the way. Got the major spooks at seeing eyes looking at me in the woods. All I can hear is the crunching of leaves under my nobbly tyres. :shock:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Bridleway tonight - utterly, utterly pitch black. I'm basically 1/2 a mile from the nearest road and it is DARK.

One second I'm tanking along, enjoying the solitude and this bloody body-shaped mist appeared in my front light beam and i shot straight through it!!! :shock:

Scared the living poo out of me! No, I did NOT go back to check what it was. There was no ground mist, just this sudden shape right in front of me.

I've got to go back down there again tomorrow night....... :( :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Bridleway tonight - utterly, utterly pitch black. I'm basically 1/2 a mile from the nearest road and it is DARK.

One second I'm tanking along, enjoying the solitude and this bloody body-shaped mist appeared in my front light beam and i shot straight through it!!! :shock:

Scared the living poo out of me! No, I did NOT go back to check what it was. There was no ground mist, just this sudden shape right in front of me.

I've got to go back down there again tomorrow night....... :( :roll:

Did a winter evening ride a couple of years ago, ground mist was starting to form as the light was fading, suddenly there's a black "shape" in the middle of the road, down in the mist. As I rolled past slowly, it was a black cat, curled up asleep in the middle of the road.

Meeting a black cat is good luck...? I had my first crash next morning, went over on a greasy corner and got a great big scrape on my hip :lol:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I looked out side and continued to fail to understand this BST/GMT rubbish.
    Saying that it was nice and sunny on the way to work but on the way home it's just added 10 min to my walk from the Bus on those days, due to a steep, unlit mulchy path being the local short cut.

Due to a meeting tongiht and a footy match tomorrow night it looks like my first proper test of my Single Shot Plus will be Wednesday asuming the forecast for dundee remains as is Sunny, max temp 5 degrees, 10mph wind :-) Much better than the 20mph wind, snow showers and 2 degrees max temp previously forecast.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Just to add.....it fecking cold as well....

Journey home last night was spooky as hell...I ride home with a mate and both of us have got very bright lights but going along the canal was just plain spooky...

Do you remember being a kid and playing catch or 'it' and you were being chased down and you got that weird 'I'm running scared but really like it'...t'was a bit like that at one point... :lol:

Anywho....as you were

david

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ongoing theory about my mist thing was that it was a wil o' the wisp. Rotting vegetation causing gas to appear.

It sounds logical, but doesn't half spoil a good story! :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Just got a new fenix torch / bike light - awesome power for £40
  • Okay, so its dark and its damm cold. But don't you feel good just being out there? That clip of shoe and pedal first thing in the morning. The cloud of your breath as you set off...Makes me feel alive :lol:

p.s. A sign of a true cyclist is one that keeps riding through the winter. Keep going guys.
    [edit] p.p.s. And girls of course.... :oops:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • It was freakin' cold last night going across London at 11pm. Not dark, London never gets dark, but cold to the extent that I was too cold in my shorts, by legs were aching as they warmed back up when I got home - in that 'thawing out' kind of way...

brrrrrr...

Got tracksuit bottoms for today, may have been slight overkill!
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    cold to the extent that I was too cold in my shorts, by legs were aching as they warmed back up when I got home

Shorts in October? Eeek :shock:

Mind those knee joints!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It was insanely cold in oxford this morning. There was ice on the motor in the coaching launch i was using and it kept cutting out whenever the revs dropped. I ended up getting towed back because i couldn't start it again.
  • Okay, so its dark and its damm cold. But don't you feel good just being out there? That clip of shoe and pedal first thing in the morning. The cloud of your breath as you set off...Makes me feel alive :lol:

p.s. A sign of a true cyclist is one that keeps riding through the winter. Keep going guys.
    [edit] p.p.s. And girls of course.... :oops:

It was very agreeable coming round the park this morning, bright sunshine but a chill in the air. I need to dig my tights out...
    <a>road</a>
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Must say, the Aldi gloves have been superb! Altura Night Vision - I can only wear a Speedo triathlete base layer underneath, otherwise it turns into a sweatfest.

Kind of baulking at the thought of 34 miles a day, on a mountain bike. Very strange groupset ratio. Was a bit tentative on the 700 x 23 today though. Think I might have to sacrifice the old Claud Butler supermarket run/train station runabout and get a cyclo cross bike in its place. Seem to be a lot of Kaffenbach' going about at the moment!? Anyone with any experience of one?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    On my way into work there is a bit of a drop on a 1 way road to the old ferry terminal. It's just above sea level, though never seen ice at the bottom I have whiel walking to Dundee in the past discovered ice forming on my jacket round there. It;s good for oh 30ish in the summer.

Came across a Stealth Ninja in the hopsital groudsn tonight, he seemed a bit amused at me flashing my lights as he passed the car park exit, even more confused when I shouted into the freezing night, "Lights, get some fucking lights".
    Sure it was one of the Med Students as well.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    It's not dark or cold here in Sydney, although it is a bit wet today.