Merida bikes - any good?!

philbill1973
philbill1973 Posts: 83
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
Pembury cycles are a dealer for Merida, I was going to get a S'presso 500D but they didn't have any stock until next year, t'was a lovely bike. Got a felt in the end tho.
FCN 11, Hmmm

Comments

• Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    I have a T1 and really like it. When I was looking I read somewhere that they made the frames for another higher end make and have started to make their own bikes..
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Someone said to me that they are built by specialized... and that they are very good bikes
    Ride a bike.... be happy.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    @oxenhoper Merida own 40% of Specialized, so it may be the other way around. Merida make frames for many other better known brands so I'd wager the build quality would be good, but I know nothing about the ride, geometry etc.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Variable - they do anything from budget stuff right up to a £7500 XC MTB which is pretty good...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There's no T3 review, but in road bike terms, the Meridas reviewed recently by Bikeradar have been pretty well received:

The 903-27 (£650)

The 880-24 (£400)
  • pintoo
    pintoo Posts: 145
    Bike Hut on Fleet St rave about Merida. They say that Merida are the main frame and fork manufacturer for all the major brands including Cannondale. I thought that was a bit tall, but apparently it's true. On that basis, they seem good value.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    pintoo wrote:
    Bike Hut on Fleet St rave about Merida. They say that Merida are the main frame and fork manufacturer for all the major brands including Cannondale. I thought that was a bit tall, but apparently it's true. On that basis, they seem good value.

Cannondales are made in the US, so that is possibly an exaggeration.

There used to be far fewer places making carbon fibre bits than there were brands of carbon fibre bits, the point being that it used to be the case that your expensive ITM forks were made by the same guy laying up the same carbon fibre in the same moulds as the no-name forks for complete bikes. Kind of like Duracell vs. Tesco's own.

Since cf has become so much more popular and accessible, my instinct is that this received wisdon is now a little out of date.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Didn't Merida make frames for Raleigh for years?

Don't know if they still do.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    We're going to the UK 2009 launch tomorrow, so keep an eye on the site, and i'll update this thread too.