Can I use Shimano MT52 SPD shoes with flats?

xgeek
xgeek Posts: 117
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Okay it's payday next Friday and I am drawing up my shopping list for the end of this week :wink:

I have been looking at getting some Shimano 520 pedals and MT52 shoes but now I am getting close to ordering I am getting cold feet and may chicken out. I really do want to try SPDs but am worried about the unexpected foot downs I still have while out riding trails, so here is what I am thinking.

Shimano MT52 shoes from Merlin
Shimano m520 pedals from Merlin
Welgo V12 clones from CRC

The idea is I use the Welgos and MT52s for my trail riding at the weekends until I get more confident and I can use the 520s and MT52s for the easy canal rides midweek.

The only thing that may scupper my plan is if I can't use the MT52s with flats. Not seen the bottom of the shoes so not sure it there is a large bulge where the cleats go?

Will my plan work okay or should just go with one set-up?

Cheers
XG

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    the metal cleats on hte bottom of hte shoes will cause a lack of grip on the V12s and its a big pain in hte butt to remove them every time you want to switch as getting hte right position again can be fiddley.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I have MT51's paired up with 520's and assume that they are of similar design as they were replaced by the MT52's. There is a cover that unscrews to reveal where the cleats screw in but imo the compound that the soles are made of would not be great for flats. I would also say that my bet is you would quickly forget about flats anyway once used to the spds. It is unnerving but it quickly becomes second nature to unclip, particularly if you use multi release cleats and you leave them fairly loose to begin with.

Just for info, you can still get the MT51's and they are cheaper due to being discontinued.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17047

I got mine from Merlin a couple of weeks ago in a special with 520's for £49.99. I took the advice of others here though and went up a size and am glad that I did.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If i were you i'd take a step back and think about how you ride.

If you want spds go the whole hog and get non-platform ones and a decent pair of shoes, for pedals the m540's are a good starting point and for shoes, whatever fits. It is worth getting some multi-release cleats for when you start off as they'er much easier to unclip with.

If you decide you use your feet on the floor too much to go clipped in get 5.10's and some wellgo MG1s. Almost the same grip as spds, but no clipping out to worry about.

In short, half arsing about will land you with the worst characteristics of both set-ups.