I have tubeless wheels and tyres...do i need sealant?

Darra8
Darra8 Posts: 721
edited October 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a pair of tubeless ready tyres and i have just realised that the new wheel set i have bought are tubeless ready too. Do i need sealant, or do i just fit, pump and go?

Cheers,

Steve
40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!

Comments

• avid89
    avid89 Posts: 37
    you need the sealent to seal any possible punctures you may have.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    UST tyres or Tubeless ready? UST does not need sealant (although it is advisable), whereas Tubeless ready does need sealant.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I use sealant in my USTs. Hadn't noticed a puncture in over a year (there may have been small ones but you never know) then weekend before last near end of 30 mile ride, rear tyre went flat (it had sealant in). Noticed a 1-2 cm split in the tread (a brand new Racing Ralph too)... simply rotated tyre so that was at the bottom and pumped up. A little sealant leaked out at first and then sealed up. Excellent :D
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Darra8
    Darra8 Posts: 721
    Thanks guys.

Which sealant would be recommended? Does it depend on which product you buy as to how you apply it..ie through the valve or pour direct into the tyre as your fitting it?

Cheers.
    40 year old pussy who "still" hates the thought of falling off!!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Try Just Riding Along for all your tubeless questions. They sell No Tubes & Wheel Milk or try Joe's No Flats which has micro particles to seal larger holes.

A small amount (40-50ml) either poured through a removable valve core (difficult and messy) or poured through an opening between the rim and the bead (much simpler!) should prevent punctures becoming a problem.

You'll have to empty-out/replenish the sealant every now and then. The time between replenishing is dependant on the sealant you use and ambient conditions, but 6 monthly seems a decent compromise.