What to wear

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2008 in Commuting chat
So it's dropping to -1 around here tomorrow, and I'm undecided about what to wear

Do I go the whole thinsulate EVERYTHING approach and dress up like Scott of the Antarctic (only I will be coming back!) or layer it a bit and accept the heavier weight being carried 'just in case'?

I'm going to have the winter gloves out and overshoes (thick socks as well), but not sure if I should wear my thinsulate headwear, and my over-trousers?

Before all the MTFU comments start :wink: this the first Winter (cold) commute I have done so some constructive advice would be VERY welcome.

I've got normal tights, water-proof baggies, long-sleeved wicking top and Altura nightvision jacket with lightweight gloves and lycra shorts for my normal commute at the moment . It's a mainly country commute and the temp DOES noticeably drop once you clear the suburbs.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• OK well, I don't feel the cold so much when I'm cycling, especially once I get going, but I'd take your normal commuting gear as you describe above, wear the tights with some 3/4 lengths over the top, wear some thicker gloves and your socks/hat, and maybe a neck-warming-thing and a layer between the wicking top and the jacket, but don't go all Scott, or you'll be too hot before you know it.

Do, however, try to ensure that you have warm, dry clothes to put on/change into as soon as you arrive at your destination.
  • Last year I survived on normal baggy shorts and a selection of Aldi goods - gloves, waterproof jacket, cycling shirt. Thats was in -10 some mornings. You soon warm up once you get going. If you don't, your not working hard enough!

I used to realy wrap up, waterproof everything, but I ended up being as aerodynamic as a parachute. Travel light, pump hard, get wet.
    Road: 2006 Trek 1500
    Off: 2009 Carrera Fury

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you will be colder in the morning so be prepared to carry stuff back if needs be

Wear whatever makes you warm and takes off the chil

Baselayers are great and proper cycle tights/3/4s should keep the legs warm. Fingers and ears are the bits that get painful imo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I'd generally agree with the above - thick socks and gloves, I have a headband (a thick black one) that keeps my ears warm also but doesn't overheat my head. I have neoprene overshoes also

I wear either a HH baselayer with my yellow rain jacket or a teeshirt and winter top if dry enough

I wear aldi cycling tights or endura trousers, waterproofs over them if it chucks it down. IME shorts in winter aren't a good idea, your knees get wrecked

a good rule of thumb is if you walk out and as you're getting on the bike, if you're thinking 'chilly today, need to get rolling...' you've got the right layering on your torso/legs
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Invest in a skull cap for under your helmet, I have a Sealskinz one that covers the ears, best bit of cold weather kit I've ever owned. Combine with a Buff for the neck and lower part of your face. A good pair of waterproof winter gloves also essential.

I find its always the extremities that get cold, everything else stays warm once you get moving.
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!