Upgrade advice

theherod
theherod Posts: 25
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
I have a Giant XTC SX from 06, i was going to buy a new bike but have just lost quiet a bit of money. I would like to upgrade my existing bike.

FORK: do i need to have a 100mm fork (this is what i have) or could this sizer be increased?

OTHER: any other components which i could adjust to keep the bike interesting etc while i save up money again?

Thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    New fork: Reba's
    New wheels: 719 on xt hubs
    New tyres: whatever works locally but lighter
    new brakes: formula
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    theherod wrote:
    I have a Giant XTC SX from 06, i was going to buy a new bike but have just lost quiet a bit of money. I would like to upgrade my existing bike.

FORK: do i need to have a 100mm fork (this is what i have) or could this sizer be increased?
    You could possibly increase the travel but it is not advisable. The bike is designed for 100mm forks - more could put stress on the frame and cause damage and would change the geometry and handling of the bike, probably for the worse. I would suggest a RockShox Reba for that bike, available here at a great price
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1070&categoryId=18
    theherod wrote:

OTHER: any other components which i could adjust to keep the bike interesting etc while i save up money again?

If it ain't broke don't fix it :wink: You could pimp it a little with coloured bar ends, QR skewers etc but that's not really going to add anything to the performance of the bike. New tyres are always a good one - you can never have too many sets of tyres!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Beat me to it ride :wink: I would say 717 rims may be more suitable - it's very much an "XC" bike.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • cheers chaps!