Degreaser in Bulk

Monowai
Monowai Posts: 329
edited October 2008 in Workshop
The bike-specific stuff seems over-priced and I get through a lot of it with 4 bikes in use. Any good recommendations for bulk buy stuff (5 litres+) - e.g. motorbike / mechanical degreaser?
Cake makes me happy

Comments

• Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I have a big tin of engine degreaser, bought from my local car spares supplier. It's not cheap stuff but still a lot cheaper than buying a stupid little tin from a bike shop.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Big containers of white spirit from any hardware store.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I don't get through that much, despite too many bikes in our house. A quick washdown each use, reapply lube and all done. Then once a year (maybe twice) a proper strip down and service.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Even with 4 or 5 bikes - you shouldnt use much ? You cant ride more than one at a time ?

I use a citrus degreaser - pour a little into a cut down water bottle and apply with a paintbrush to chain and drive train.

I dont do it after every ride either - only when it needs it.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    tescos daisy mutlipupus cleaner. 75p or so for 1.5L need to dilute 10-1 for general cleaner and it cleans chains up a treat.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cougie wrote:
    Even with 4 or 5 bikes - you shouldnt use much ? You cant ride more than one at a time ?

I use a citrus degreaser - pour a little into a cut down water bottle and apply with a paintbrush to chain and drive train.

I dont do it after every ride either - only when it needs it.

Seconded. I use some stuff called Simple Green(citrus). It may be U.S. only, don't know.
    Works great and not that expensive. Years ago, I gave up cleaning the bike when it got
    a speck of dirt or grime on it. Just when it needs it now. I do tend to keep the chain and
    drive line wiped down and re oiled at least once a week.

Dennis Noward
  • Monowai
    I race cyclocross, so the bike needs a full clean every week at least. You can;t really give it a quick wipe down when its covered in an inch of mud...lol

Thanks for the recommendations. Saw the stuff on ebay (Virusol) but wasnt sure how effective it was..
    Cake makes me happy
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Monowai wrote:
    I race cyclocross, so the bike needs a full clean every week at least. You can;t really give it a quick wipe down when its covered in an inch of mud...lol

Thanks for the recommendations. Saw the stuff on ebay (Virusol) but wasnt sure how effective it was..

But does it need degreasing after every ride?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Monowai
    yes - the chain, jockey wheels, mechs, etc. get very gritty and soap n water doesnt usually shift it.
    Cake makes me happy
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    Am sure someone will explain why its not a good idea, but I've found cheap (25p a litre) cola to be a very good degreaser.
    John
  • I use Swarfega dereaser, still got the one i brought last year cost in the region of £3-£4 a tub from B&Q but you water it down to suit your needs, use an old tooth brush to work it in leave stand for five mins and wash off with water leaves chains and cassettes like new. I can't recommend this enough
    Ride on
  • cougie
    COLA ??

Diet or full fat ? ;-)
  • cougie
    Actually just googled for cola as a degreaser - and according to mythbusters -

"Cola is able to degrease engines.

busted

The cola did not remove any of the grease."

Guess they didnt think to use it on a bike ?!