Enigma Echo

Barney 2
Barney 2 Posts: 68
edited August 2010 in Workshop
Does anyone have an Enigma Echo or similiar as I am close to getting one but would like to here from an owner?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Not an Echo, but just bought an Enigma Etape. Just waiting for stem to arrive so I can finish build so can't comment on how it rides, but the finish is superb. Also, the service given to me from Jim and Mark is second to none.

Not seen a bad review yet of any of the Enigma's though.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I have the esprit. It has been great. Solid, stiff - good for racing. Been hammered over Belgian cobbles too. All seems to be spot on in terms of finish. I didn't deal direct with Enigma so can't comment on that side of it.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I bought an eclipse frame a couple of months ago, I've not built it up yet so can't say how it rides but as above, nice frame with excellent finish, very neat welding etc. delivery was very quick (2 days from placing order).

I'd have no hesitation in buying another one should the need arise.
  • I had an echo for 6 months, I swapped it for an Etape because i wanted to fit full mudguards and a rack for audax.

The Echo was superb, it climbs really well....but the Etape is a better all round bike, not quite as twitchy on the steering.

You would be hard pressed to notice any difference in performance. Both are extremly fast and comfortable, easily the best Titanium bikes I've ever had (and I've had a few).

I dealt direct with Jim, I had a day off work and drove down there for a proper fitting, then went for lunch whilst Jim swapped all my components over, I couldn't fault the service.
  • Thanks to all for your replies. Cape Diem, did you not conisider fitting guards to the Echo?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Barney 2 wrote:
    Thanks to all for your replies. Cape Diem, did you not conisider fitting guards to the Echo?

I don't think it has clearance (or eyes) for full guards - that's why I also went for the Etape.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    I'll just add a "me too" here - I have an Esprit, which is an exceptional bike, a fantastic ride, and even with me being a bit of a porker, doesn't feel flexy!

Added to that, the passion and service you get from Jim and Mark really is second to none - go one you know you want to buy one :twisted:
  • Bamford
    Bamford Posts: 65
    Carpe Diem wrote:
    The Echo was superb, it climbs really well....but the Etape is a better all round bike, not quite as twitchy on the steering.

Hi CarpeDiem,

Could you please explain what you mean when you say that the Enigma Echo is "twitchy" ?

I just wondered if you were suggesting that the Echo was more difficult to control or somehow less stable than the Etape.

I only ask, because I am currently deliberating between an Echo or an Etape, but I'm unable to get down to Eastbourne to see or ride either, before I make a purchase.

I believe that the following rack and mudguards should fit the Echo.

http://www.tubus.com/en/rear-carriers/fly

http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I don't find the Echo twitchy at all.

On a regular group riding route here we normally hit over 60km/h on the down slope of a small flyover (generally wind assisted and in a peleton) - I have not had the smallest concern of "twitchiness" in that situation. I'm generally more concerned with sticking with the group as this is the launch point for the race back to the finish (and as such, every man for himself...)

We also have a weekly session on the local car racetrack, which has a down hill right hand 90 degree corner, which is slightly off camber. In my car on the same corner during trackdays, I normally experience full 4 wheel drift to the outside of the circuit, yet at over 45km/h on the Echo it tracks as smoothly as anything, generally while still pedalling.

I agree that the Etape may be "additionally" stable to the Echo, but to describe the Echo as "twitchy" is certainly not my experience...

I run Shimano RS80 wheels & have tried both Michelin Pro Race 3's and Continental GP4000's without noticing any real stability difference...

Neil
  • Bamford
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but I don't find the Echo twitchy at all.

Thanks Neil. I'm stil agonising over whether to order the sportier Echo or the possibly more practical and versatile Etape.

Reading your reports, the Echo does sound fantastic and I've even read reports from owners of Echos and Esprits that have fitted racks to the bikes are taken them touring.

The Etape is obviously better suited to fitting racks, mudguards and wider tyres, but somehow if I owned an Etape, I wouldn't feel like I had a true road bike.

I know that they say that every bike purchase is a compromise.

I'd really want it for a sunday morning blast to combat the stresses of the working week and improve general fitness, possibly take part in a sportive if I get fit enough and there is a remote possibility that I might do some light touring.

I get the impression that the Echo looks nicer than the Etape, from the various photographs that I've seen and I would probably go for bead blasted logos and Fulcrum R3 wheels.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    For my intended use (social rides, group rides, sportives etc) the Echo seems to suit me well.

Do bear in mind that I am unlikely to tour on the bike, so no need for rack eyelets - and we don't really have any rain, so no need for mudguard capability.

As for comfort over distance, as the bike actually fits me, that resolves most of the issues I faced on the previous bike - and I do find the Ti frame absorbs the road buzz extremely well.

I am doing a 4 day sportive in the cold, wet UK in early September (i.e "summer") from Lands End to Twickenham, so will be able to report back after that :)

At this moment in time I have absolutely no concerns about the comfort of the bike for this event - but plenty more worries about my lack of foul weather gear :D

Neil
  • Bamford
    Looks like Enigma may soon be having a roadshow in the midlands area, so hopefully I'll finally get to see one of their frames / bikes and then place an order. :lol::lol::lol: