Which MTB after 16yrs away!!!

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited October 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Ive not had a MTB for about 16yrs now so ive been researching whats what these days. Ive done alot of reading on this site 'What hardtail 2008 and 2009' posts were really helpful, plus other peoples experiences.. For me, the look of the bike is just as important as the spec, I like to ride something that looks good (tart I know :lol: ) but some of the recommendations in the 'What hardtail' posts dont look that good (to me). Even something like the Carrera Vulcan is a nice bike with good reviews, but I hate red or silver bikes!!!

Im looking at about £350 and im a bit fussy regarding the colour, generally black with white decals or white with black decals! and I would like disc brakes and front suspension.

Ive listed some new bikes below that ive found that I like the look of and are around my budget, however my serious lack of knowledge is preventing me from purchasing a bike as I dont know what is a good spec or not.

Felt Q520 2008
Felt Q520 2009
Giant Boulder Disc Bike 2009
Bianchi Doss 6100 2008
Bianchi Ruck 2800 2009
Trek 4300 Disc 2009
Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2008

Out of the about, the black Trek and black or white Felt are the best looking, but is the spec ok? Im not able to test ride them as there are no lbs' with these bikes, and the nearest is at least 50miles away, which is about £35 in fuel just for a test ride!

Another option is 2nd hand, but again, its a matter of waiting for something to turn up locally and checking the spec / advise online before buying, plus the added hassle of the condition and what to look for.....

Does anyone have any advise regarding the above bikes that could help me out, anything would be great as I cannot find much at all online about these bikes....

Cheers :D
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=8963&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=

It's red and with V brakes but the others you have listed do not touch this on value! It was a good value bike at full price. It's got a really top notch frame and great forks, as well as a decent 27 speed drivetrain.
    I would also say that the good quality V brakes on this Rockhoppper will likely be more powerful than some of the cheaper mechanical disc brakes on the others you have mentioned.

EDIT - just saw this as well
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=9812&f_SortOrderID=1

Not quite as good as the Rockhopper, but it's not red and has hydraulic disc brakes!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Gav888
    Cheers for the quick reply, sadly the Cannondale is only in small, I will need a medium or 20/21" frame but it looks alright actually, I will keep an eye out for it elsewhere. The rockhopper is a good bike, read some good reviews, but I hate the colour sadly!! :cry:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    the frame size you need will be the one that fits - sizes vary brand to brand. I'd visit a shop and try the bikes out. The hardrock and felt are not very well specced.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Gav888 wrote:
    Hi,
    Im not able to test ride them as there are no lbs' with these bikes, and the nearest is at least 50miles away, which is about £35 in fuel just for a test ride!

What the hell do you drive ???
  • Try this as well. Seems to have good spec

http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider-5-xc-disc-33280716/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ace price on that Rockhopper... Do the frame and forks have disc mounts for future upgrades? Hubs don't obviously.

The Carrera Kraken is right in your price range and works out better than most of what you're looking at there. It doesn't get close to the Rockhopper to be honest, but the hydraulic brakes might make a difference to you. And it's black ;) If looks are important it does look like a more expensive bike than it is. I'm not sure how it compares directly to the Cannondale F6, some parts are better and some are worse... But if I was buying new, I imagine I'd be getting the Cannondale.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Gav888 wrote:
    Cheers for the quick reply, sadly the Cannondale is only in small, I will need a medium or 20/21" frame but it looks alright actually, I will keep an eye out for it elsewhere. :cry:

It's available here as well but not for the same price unfortunately.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec000216

They also have the F5 in the rather cool looking black. I nearly bought one myself before going for the Avalanche. btw, the F5 has Avid Juicy 3's and not Shimano 485's as stated in the spec. I discovered this myself when taking it for a test ride.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec000096
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Northwind wrote:
    Ace price on that Rockhopper... Do the frame and forks have disc mounts for future upgrades? Hubs don't obviously.

Frame does, and last time I saw one in a shop the hubs did too :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    How about a Giant XTC - Pauls cycles have been known to do them cheap. Generally Giant & Trek are excellent value and well made frames. Kona do some good stuff too. I'd also look on E-Bay at used bikes.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I'd recommend checking E bay out as i recently bought a Carrera Fury 07 from ebay i got it for £350 with lights lock helmet etc and 2 years left on the warranty. Although the lock weighs as much as the bloody bike does :shock:
    The bike it self is in Mint condition though it's only been ridden twice by the owner & you can tell just by looking at it that it's true not a mark on the bike & absolutely no wear an tear

So well worth the look i would say
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    buying 2nd hand nulls the warranty.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I've got a double! ^^^

(Not Berk)

:roll:
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Gav888
    Hi,

Thanks for all the replys guys.... for your info, my girlfriend has just bought a 2nd hand Scott Montana in Yellow and Black from a friend, ive just finished giving it a tune up and clean, and a quick spin round the block with some off road, and it was great fun, I know its not a great speak but how does this Scott Montana compare to the bikes on my list?

Felt Q520 2008
    Felt Q520 2009
    Giant Boulder Disc Bike 2009
    Bianchi Doss 6100 2008
    Bianchi Ruck 2800 2009
    Trek 4300 Disc 2009
    Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc 2008

If the bikes on my list are better than the Scott then I would be a happy man LOL

Also, the Carrera Kraken looks a good bike to, hadnt thought of that :D