Giant Defy sizing

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited October 2008 in Road beginners
Please help me choose the right frame size for Giant Defy 1, my first road bike.
My height is ~166cm (5,5-5,6) and my inseam is about 75cm (~29,5 inches). Testing is impossible.
An eshop suggested Small size. (Top tube length 53cm and standover height 75,7cm).
A suppose minor ajustment for an incorrect Top tube length can be made by altering the stem.
However I' m more concerned about the latter number in relation to my inseam. I read that standover in giant frames is measured 30cm from seat tube which I think is not exactly over the Bottom bracket.
So is this height OK for me to stand over the bike?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If it's your first bike I wouldn't recommend buying off the internet, no matter how much the saving. Inseam and standover height is not that important - reach is the most important. You can adjust reach by swapping stem, but too short or long may upset the handling. You'd be better going to a local shop and getting size properly.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • mobilis wrote:
    Please help me choose the right frame size for Giant Defy 1, my first road bike.
    My height is ~166cm (5,5-5,6) and my inseam is about 75cm (~29,5 inches). Testing is impossible.
    An eshop suggested Small size. (Top tube length 53cm and standover height 75,7cm).
    A suppose minor ajustment for an incorrect Top tube length can be made by altering the stem.
    However I' m more concerned about the latter number in relation to my inseam. I read that standover in giant frames is measured 30cm from seat tube which I think is not exactly over the Bottom bracket.
    So is this height OK for me to stand over the bike?
    I'm not an expert, but just to get things underway, my guess it that it would be fine. Standover height is one of the least important measurements, as you can always stand on tiptoes to get over an 'imperfect' match. Unlike, say, on a Mountain Bike, you shouldn't be thrown off your saddle too often, so the crown jewels are safe. The important measurements are the ones that determine how comfortable the bike is when being ridden.

Just to supply info to anyone who really knows the answer here is a link to the sizing geometry/specshttp://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/2428/32436/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mobilis, I'm pretty well the same height as you and have plenty of experience fitting bikes for other people - the Giant has quite a long top tube and can be quite a stretch for somebody unacustomed to a road bike - make sure it comes with a short stem such as a 9 or 10cm. Standover height is pretty irrelevant for most bikes - the sloping top tube will give you loads of clearance. Getting your feet on the floor whilst in the saddle is a complete misnomer - if you want to put your feet down, get off the saddle anyway. The important dimensions are sadlle height i.e. pedal to saddle distance, and reach - saddle to handlebars. Ideally, find yourself a Giant dealer locally and go for a test ride before you commit your readies.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    Sounds right to me, my wife is 5'4 with an inseam of 31"and she rides a size small scr2 and finds it very comfortable. I am 5'6 with 30" inseam and its ok for me too.There is loads of stand over hight because of the sloping top tube.At 5'6 there is no way you would be on an xsmall,i would still recomend you try to sit on one or even better test ride one first though.