Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB beginners

What Chain? + Other buying help!

MyNameIsDavidMyNameIsDavid Posts: 53
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
I've had my GT Avalanche for about a week now and I've basically spent today taking the bike apart and cleaning it like a lunatic. The chain, however, is pretty rusty and needs to be replaced (bike is 8 months old, bought second hand). So what chain to get for a 27 speed bike? My budget is less than £50 as long as the chain is worth it.

Also, thinking of draining the bike and need to know what mineral oil I should use to replace the drained stuff, any ideas?

Finally what brushes should I buy to be able to thoroughly and easily clean the bike?

Thanks.

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    any Sram 9spd chain.

Also, thinking of draining the bike and need to know what mineral oil I should use to replace the drained stuff, any ideas?

what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    any Sram 9spd chain.

what?
    Ah ignore that, talking nonsense pretty much.
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 81,520 Lives Here
    so what did you mean?

Oh and brushes what ever you want. I use a few from Park.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rowlersrowlers Posts: 1,614
    I bought an sram pc971 from woolly hay shop. not fitted yet so can't comment on how good it is but it did come highly recomended on here!
  • jaysonjayson Posts: 4,606
    I only ever used SRAM chains, the split link is an absolute genius idea and makes cleaning it an absolute doddle with no tools at all required for the job.
  • mudsuckermudsucker Posts: 704
    sram pc971 is a good chain. seems pretty strong and pretty good value at about £30. I'd go for one of them.
    Fuelled by cake!

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp for playing in the mud.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
    1987 Peugeot Tour 10