Bigger Tyre on Rear than on Front, Thoughts?

The HutcH
The HutcH Posts: 107
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi there. I had to buy a new tyre for my previous bike as i am selling it and the rear tyre on it at the mo is bald. I went down to my local bike shop and decided to buy a new tyre for my new bike and put the tyre thats on it at the moment on the bike i am selling. The new tyre i brought is a 2.25 which is now on the rear and the front is a 2.10. Is this a good setup?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Ask yourself which tyre does most of the braking, and which tyre would you prefer not to loose traction when you've the bike laid over in a bend.

Usually the bigger tyre goes on the front.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Agreed. I'd prefer a bigger tyre on the front. If you lose the front in a corner you're stuffed whereas if the back steps out you're usually fine. Also, i may be wrong but do you not get more rolling resistance from the back wheel? Maybe another reason to have the thinner tyre there
  • The HutcH
    So its better to have the bigger tyre on the front for now.Eventually i will get another so both wheels will have 2.25's. They didnt have 2 in stock in the shop. I personally thought it would be better on the back seeing as that is the wheel that gets the drive.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Hi Michael,

If you run out of traction from peddling with the back wheel you just slow down or come to a halt, not a big deal. This is quite rare, but it is common for the front wheel to go roving in a different direction to the one you had in mind, this leads to a closer knowledge of botany than is safe.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The HutcH
    So definetly put the big tyre on the front. Thanks for the advice.