question on Shimano A520 SPD Touring Pedals

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I am about to order the above for my new bike in December. I already use a pair on my Genesis Day 01 and do like them ( although this is my second set as the first set broke!!) Are there any better alternatives, I only need a one sided cleated pedal and want something with a smooth operation.....i presume we all want that.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• i bought some and i love them... :D
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Personal taste, there are smaller single sided SPDs on the Shimano catalogue:

PD-A515.jpg

What you need to decide is whether as in my case you are more comfortable withthe "platform" on the A520, or can happily use the smaller surfaced pedals

Alternatively the A530 has a similar !platform" on the clip side, but a proper platform on the other:

shimano-pda530-med.jpg
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin what is the shimano pedal on the first picture on you last reply?

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    What's the difference between touring pedals and road?
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Firstly the pedal is a PD-A515

THe differences are technical and personal... The true RAcing pedals for Shimano are a different fitting, SPD - R, and this is a significant change;

PE307Z11SIL__4____RC-4.jpg

shimano-pd-r540sw.jpg

Lighter and a different method of support.

Back to SPD istelf though, prior to SPD R it was simply a case of lighter, one sided to save weight and usually small. Support for the foot tendsto come from the very stiff shoe soles.

The Touring ones tended to be supportive as you wear shoes that are capable of walking and tend to be softer. A small pedal can cause pressure and a "hot foot".
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Cunobelin. SPD-R pedals have long been superceded by SPD-SL which is the second picture you show. I have no idea what model the cleat is.
    Trev. The first pedal in Cunobelin's post is no longer in the Shimano listing. It was just a single sided SPD pedal. I think the PD-A520 replaced it. This is a good suportive SPD pedal that can be used with touring and MTB style shoes that you can walk in fairly easily. You could also use non cycling shoes for short distances. SPD-SL are for use with road shoes which do not have a recessed cleat and are more difficult to walk in. I use SPD-SL on my best bikes and PD-R520 MTB ones on my winter and fixed bikes. I have no problem with either.
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    John.T wrote:
    The first pedal in Cunobelin's post is no longer in the Shimano listing. It was just a single sided SPD pedal. I think the PD-A520 replaced it.

These Shimano PD-A515 pedals are still available from Chain Reaction:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8062

Edindevon
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I did not say you could not get them just they are no longer listed. As CRC are doing them 1/2 price I guess they are selling them off. They were nice pedals if you like single sided and very light also.
  • thanks for that John T i'll keep with the A520 and order a pair they are a good price on a number of web sites

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Am I right in thinking A530 has serviceable bearings but a520 doesn't. hence higher price on a530?

Do I also remember right that "serviceable" shimano pedal bearings need a special shimano tool that's either v. expensive or impossible to find - or did I imagine that?
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    If you are buying spd's because you want to walk in them then you should carefully consider you choice of shoe as not all shoes will allow the cleat to fully recess and thus you can yourself waddling even on spd's and being nearly as slipply on shiney surfaces. As to the pedal used it for a couple of months and loved them before I moved to spd-sl and now love these even more.
  • rally200
    does the platform of A520 actually contact the sole of spd shoes when you're clipped in.

I have m 324's and they certainly don't give any extra support when you're clipped in ( but are v. useful round town).
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    rally200 wrote:
    does the platform of A520 actually contact the sole of spd shoes when you're clipped in.

good question - the platform curves at either end so for the first and last 1.5cm it doesn't contact but for the rest there is good contact with my shimano shoes.

The A520 is serviceable and if you are very careful you can do it without the tool, but the tool will prevent damage and as already mention only costs a few quid.

With regard to cleat depth in a recent cycling plus comparison the adidas minrett shoe came out as having the most recessed cleats. Mind even that would crunch when walking on gravel or other rough surfaces.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • rally200
    I wonder if too deep a cleat recess could stop you clipping in to a520 - I'm thinking far too deeply about this now.

Having to dismount for fligths of steps on my commute I iintend to stck with Shimano moutnain (or touring if I can find them) spd shoes - so think I migth give the a520 a go - and they sort of look the part on a road bike.
  • I use the A520's, had my first ride in them (and spd's full stop!) on saturday and I wear the Adidas El Moro which are similar to the Minrett, I can confirm the cleats just catch when walking on public footpaths, it's more of an audible noise rather than you really feeling it.

I must say I was expecting the use of SPD's to be more difficult, I suppose I should wait until I ride through heavy traffic in the city and stop at traffic lights before saying too much :)

I was suprised at how much you can move you foot (laterally) about on the pedal, I assumed that spd's locked you in so you only had your foot in one position.