anyone got a view on the Charge Spoon Cro-Mo saddle

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Having read the review and feeling very uncomfortable on the saddle supplied with my genesis day 01 i'm thinking of buy this saddle....anyone got one...are they as good as the review says...and so very cheap
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... ail_Saddle

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    it's ok - I have one on my fixed gear bike which is only used for short training blasts - not sure I would want to spend a number of hours on it mind..

they are highly rated though - and very good price - if you find you don't like it, you will get most of your cash back on ebay for it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Got one from a BR member and love it. Did consider Ebaying it but like it and it's staying on my bike now. Recently did 15 miles and no probs other than my legs.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    bike to work and back on one every day - not that far, but it's as comfy a perch as I've ever had on my hack. Buy one, they're not expensive and they're not uncomfortable! :lol:
  • I've got one on my MTB, and love it. Had no aches so far on longish off road rides, which couldn't be said for my Specialized saddle the bike came with as standard. Ouch!

Also have a look for their new saddle, the slightly more painful sounding Charge Knife.

It got good reviews in MBR and C+. It's a bit slimmer looking, possibly more roadie looking.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well it might be ok for you, there again it might not .... saddles are such a personal thing, it's largely a matter of trial and error. At only 20 quid you haven't lost much if it's no good for you. I hope to try it soon too.
  • A second alternative I looked at was
    http://www.cyclesuk.com/1011/172-498795
    again had a recent great review....it does look a bit naff though ( although should I worry if it is comfy) Anyone tried this one?

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The holy grail of comfortable saddles: Selle Anatomica - not cheap, not light, fully waterproof, adjustable, import from USA (took 5 days, great service, valued at $13 so no duty to pay), great service from the company owner, it is the last saddle you will ever buy! Incredible comfort right out of the box.
  • gkerr4
    alfablue wrote:
    The holy grail of comfortable saddles: Selle Anatomica - not cheap, not light, fully waterproof, adjustable, import from USA (took 5 days, great service, valued at $13 so no duty to pay), great service from the company owner, it is the last saddle you will ever buy! Incredible comfort right out of the box.

You're joking aren't you?

It looks like one of those 'brooks' relics you used to see on old knackered bikes at the local tip!
  • alfablue
    gkerr4 wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

You're joking aren't you?

It looks like one of those 'brooks' relics you used to see on old knackered bikes at the local tip!
    You may mock, but you haven't tried one. Sure, if your image is more important than your ar*e then it's not for you - for me it solved 15 years of discomfort and hundreds of pounds spent on failed saddles.
  • gkerr4
    really? - it's really comfortable?
  • alfablue
    gkerr4 wrote:
    really? - it's really comfortable?
    It is really, really comfortable. It is a "suspension" saddle, in that the frame suspends the leather, the wings (where your sit bones go) deflect on every pedal stroke. This really works. It has a tension adjustment so you can tailor it to your weight, it has a waterproof leather cover, and a laminate under the cover to make it more robust for the heavier rider (me!). (There are non-laminate and non-waterproof versions at lower prices. Selle Anatomica also convert Brooks saddles).

You can see it in action here
  • looks like some guy sitting on a saddle with no trousers on! :)

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue wrote:

how did you decide on this alfablue, obviously you could not test ride and at this high cost and ordering from the states was it not a risk? did you know someone who had one?

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    trevtherev wrote:
    A second alternative I looked at was
    http://www.cyclesuk.com/1011/172-498795
    again had a recent great review....it does look a bit naff though ( although should I worry if it is comfy) Anyone tried this one?

Its a personal thing, saddles but I had one of these and could NOT get on with it. It LOOKS as tho' it would tick all the boxes but its in my unwanted bin in the garage.
    The Spoon for me is a great buy. I reckon if I was 2 stone lighter it would be the best bit of cheap-end bikeing kit around. I have 2 of them, the Cro-Mo and a Tit version (I REALLY wanted one at the time and the tit version was the only one left AND it was in brown leatherette - looked so good...).
    Have a spoonful and enjoy.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • alfablue
    trevtherev wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

how did you decide on this alfablue, obviously you could not test ride and at this high cost and ordering from the states was it not a risk? did you know someone who had one?
    I was fed up trying everything else, and I took a punt. The fellah is a good guy. and there is a 30 day no quibble return policy. Mostly you can't try saddles you but in the UK so the risk wasn't that much different, indeed, maybe less, do Brooks take them back?
  • Ghengis
    Ghengis Posts: 90
    Charge have got this spot on. £17 from Wiggle (£20 now) and worth twice that. Got mine on my Rockhopper which gets used for anything from quick singletrack blasts to 3 day tours like the C2C and Reivers Way. I've done 90+ miles in a day and still been OK. So in a nutshell it's good for most things. Only gripe is that now that it's a bit tired the rails have developed a squeek where they attach to the seat. Nothing a bit of oil/grease hasn't fixed but it can be annoying. For £20 I might just go and get another!!!
    Nearly there, just over this hill and round the next corner...

2005 Specialized Rockhopper Disc
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • just ordered one not from wiggle (as it is £25 here) but winstanley cycles £19.99 and post free....my bum can't wait :):)

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Gosh I really must set up a business hiring out and selling saddles ....... hmmmm .....
  • I got one. Cant go wrong for £20. Its better then the Bontrager I had anyway.

Mine is grey only thing i didnt like was the red Charge stitching. But for comfort its not bad. Im sure there are better
    Be excellent to everyone.
    (Bill S Preston Esq, Ted Theodore Logan. 1989)

650B - bouncy
  • alfablue wrote:

Why did you not buy a Brooks saddle? the reviews are always fantastic and they are a timeless classic....or did you try and not like?

www.runningfree.co.uk
  • alfablue
    trevtherev wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

Why did you not buy a Brooks saddle? the reviews are always fantastic and they are a timeless classic....or did you try and not like?
    I particularly wanted a "lurve groove", and I also heard of trouble with the break in period. These don't need breaking in.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I wonder if that red slot closes in under weight pressure and nips delicate parts? Is it gel?

Jim
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    Sorry to drag this thread out again - but does anyone have the cutlery set?

i.e. both the knife and spoon

I would be interested in the difference between them - I have the spoon which I reckon is pretty comfy - a great shape except I wish it was a bit narrower at the front and that it cut away a little more to the thighs as my legs seem to catch slightly on this part.

Anybody in a position to compare them?
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ive got a spoon, very comfy and the back of the saddle does come up and carress your bottom in a firm position when climbing in the saddle. Not bat at all for £20. 8)
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Hi there

Love my spoon. Got one on mountain bike and just ordered one for my new Ribble Sportive. Both in white. Really comfy from the box. Did 5 hours on mountain bike in Scotland the other week. No numbness or backache. Cleans up like new everytime. Very durable.

Got the first from wiggle and second from winstanleys. Wiggle now gone up a fiver.

Cheers