Misleading adverts!!!!

hopper1
hopper1 Posts: 4,389
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
I noticed in this weeks comic, that JE James where advertising Tacx Flows at £209.99.
Excellent, I thought, as I was looking to buy one.
Phone up the shop to be told that:
A. They haven't got any. Two week wait!
B. The price must have been a 'typo', as they are £239.99 on their website.
:evil:
But, of course, they could send me one in two weeks, if I pay the web price!
Best way of getting people to visit your site, or call your shop is to advertise something you don't have, at a price you can't honour! Bit like Winstanley's!!
I had a list of stuff I was going to buy, in one order (including the turbo), amounting to approx. £700, but they can f**k off now!
I'll take it to CRC or Wiggle, who, so far haven't let me down. :wink:
Ok, rant over..................
Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    What can I say but Bikeradar are no different?

A flash (I think) advert on its home pahe for the last week, noting "jackets from" and showing a Gore Phantom Jacket, which is considerably more to buy than the "from" price!

Latest I've had like yours though is wanting to buy a Brooks saddle from The Old Bicycle Showroom which they had on their website. Price was a good one, lowest I could find online, so I place an order.

Having done that and waited a month for it to arrive, I queried when I might get it and was told a) they didn't have any in stock, and b) they didn't know when new would arrive from Brooks, maybe in two months!

As I was after the saddle for a 200km event (getting a sore bum from my gel one) I had to cancel the order and get it from CRC at a higher cost. In the meantime Brooks had put up their prices and even where I had ordered it originally was now selling for rather more as well.

Needless to say not impressed, though the saddle is quite comfy.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    A local car dealer was offering minimum p/x of £1000
    It turned out (when I got there) that they would only give you £1000 if your car was worth that to them.
    The price quoted on a certain model referred to the non metallic paint option , but they didn't have any of these , and only ever did when specifically ordered. Metallic was £500 more. Of course , if you specifically ordered a car with a non metallic paint job it would not qualify for the great deal they were advertising.

I cycled away at this point

Snake

my bikes ...

http://beta.yudu.com/library/item_details/17432/Snakehips--Bikes
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I think it's the quickest way to p*ss off a potential customer. I make a point of not shopping at companies that do that.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    If it sounds too good to be true....
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Eleven years ago, I remember an ad campaign that said "Things can only get better!"

I think quite a lot of people went for it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Onan
    Onan Posts: 321
    hopper1 wrote:
    I noticed in this weeks comic, that JE James where advertising Tacx Flows at £209.99.
    Excellent, I thought, as I was looking to buy one.
    Phone up the shop to be told that:
    A. They haven't got any. Two week wait!
    B. The price must have been a 'typo', as they are £239.99 on their website.
    :evil:
    But, of course, they could send me one in two weeks, if I pay the web price!
    Best way of getting people to visit your site, or call your shop is to advertise something you don't have, at a price you can't honour! Bit like Winstanley's!!
    I had a list of stuff I was going to buy, in one order (including the turbo), amounting to approx. £700, but they can f**k off now!
    I'll take it to CRC or Wiggle, who, so far haven't let me down. :wink:
    Ok, rant over..................

Oh dear. are they known for this?

I just ordered a bike from them.
    Drink poison. Wrestle snakes.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    We had ths with Citroen... Guaranteed £1000 cash back and £1000 bonus... and they were absolutely honest in these two offers.

What was dishonest is that they then offered £2000 less on the trade-in value of the car!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)