Christmas Conundrum

pembo1
pembo1 Posts: 6
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
My MB pal borrowed my road bike (2006 Dawes Discovery 601) to do a triathlon and really liked the bike for general road usage. He's asked me if I want to sell it and I said I probably would as I'm spending too much money on MBing. Later on his wife collared me and told me she wanted to get him the bike as a surprise xmas present and how much did I want for the bike. I haven't got a clue how much to ask for the bike, it's been lightly used as I got into MBing soon after I bought it. Any idea how much I should ask, I think I paid £600 for it new. :?:

Comments

• wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    3 pound 66 plus a shag would seem reasonable under the circumstances
  • Your "friend" has obviously told his wife that you are ripe for some seduction action as you prefer bouncing around to smooth strokes!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • In any case, why wait until Christmas. I'm sure you could get down and dirty right now!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    The long-term consequences of the above advice might not be worth the short-term gain.

I would suggest the bike is probably worth half what you paid for it, as long as it is in good condition. Things are generally worth what people are prepared to pay for them, but brand new carries that kind of premium, IMO.

Last time I offloaded one of my bikes, I swapped it for a painting by the artist who took it. If he ever becomes famous and commercially successful, I may end up with the better deal. If not, too bad.

Neither of us really knew what the bike or the painting were worth but we were both happy with the deal. and so was his wife! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)