Newby & Advice on Marin Rocky Ridge

Cookingongas
Cookingongas Posts: 92
edited October 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

New to Mountain biking as used to ride 10+ years ago on a Dynatec (still in garage) but now in late thirtys fancy doing it again. Looking for hardtail as have seen several but like the Rocky Ridge as have a budget (another baby due soon) i will have to buy used. What is a good price for the Marin and also any others I should look at.
Budget around £600 ish

Thanks all and look forward to riding soon
:D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SHould be able to pick a Rocky Ridge up for 5-600 depending on age. Any bike a year old with a RRP of 1000-1200 should be about that price 2nd hand, possibly a bit less if they are heavily reduced in the sales.

But don't discount buying new (ora sale bike) - so great machines out there! I take it you are after something for general trail riding and XC?
  • Yes fancy trail riding bit of downhill (Wales etc) and road.

Thanks
  • supersonic
    Ah, you mean riding down a hill as opposed to the DH antics we see the pros do (10 ft drops and the like ;-))
  • LOL
    Yes minor downhill trail riding, the other sort would scare me. raced Motocross in my youth but being late thirtys and have kids must take things easier. Any other choice other than the Rocky?
  • supersonic
    Sounds like you definitely need something with a touch more travel than an XC bike (ie 80-100mm), more like 100-140mm as in the Marin you suggest.

The Saracen Zen is a similar bike, as is the Orange Crush and OnOne 456.
  • Hey really appreciate the advice........................ sorry if i come across vague as this is all new to me and my havent bikes now changed. If any help im 5,10 and 13 stone.
  • supersonic
    Still need to try them out really - sizes vary so much brand to brand! Not just height, but length of top tube.

Buying 2nd hand can complicate matters, but don't get a bargain if it doesnt fit!
  • Yes wise words.
    I will try several before purchase. Where would be a good place to look for used HT?
  • supersonic
    Some bike shops do p/x, so often have a few 2nd hand bikes. Ebay of course, but the bike will need a thorough mechanical check.
  • marin on ebay at £700, seems ok but its collection in Liverpool, long drive as in Swindon.Oh well will keep looking and also open to others.

:)
  • GT Destroyer
    GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
    Hi Gas.

I ride an Orange Crush and it loves to get airborne on the rough DH stuff, so I can echo Sonic's vote for the Crush.

My riding buddy easyG has the 2007 Rocky Ridge and he absolutley loves it, keeps on bleating about it loving being in the air etc....... you'd do far worse than a Rocky Ridge.
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Bleating. Bleating... thats a little less from you GT!

As GT articulately says I absolutely love mine, and whilst I was expecting it to be a good ride, being a top frame etc, I never expected it to be this damn good. If you go to the Marin website and dig around you should be able to find a few reviews/ bike tests that MBUK and What Mountain Bike did on the Rocky Ridge explaining why it has won awards etc

I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed if you got a Rocky Ridge, but as sonic says you must try any new bike out really as it is personal (we all love our own ride at the end of the day!).

Notably, I got my Rocky Ridge frame (brand new) on eBay from a bike shop if I recall, and then built it up from there. PM me if you have any more questions on it mate, I will happiily try to answer them for you.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • GT Destroyer
    Calm down lad - Have your legs stopped aching yet from Saturday?
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    To be honest mate my legs have been fine, they weren't really achy yesterday either! maybe they have just stopped working all together. I was wacked on saturday night though, had a job on staying awake for MOTD, especially after my homecooked jalfrezi and a couple of beers.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • Tried a Specialized Rockhopper pro, and Cannondale F3, both from a shop. Both bikes were nice, anyone care to recommend, I did like the Cannondale but at £1200 for an 09 model it was a bit out my range.
    Thanks
  • GT Destroyer
    The Specialized one gets lots of recommendations on here, seems like a good starter bike.