Best lakeland riding

Dr S
Dr S Posts: 146
edited October 2008 in MTB rides
I'm heading up in a couple of weeks, Grizedale is nice where else should I try?
Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
Scott Spark 20 the softtail
Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    All of it!!

Seriously though, where are you headed? The further North you go the steeper it gets because you're into "proper" mountain country. But you really can't go wrong wherever you go in the Lakes.

If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you some route maps.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Me and my bro went up there in Sept, we took one of the routes from mbr, it took us round near Skelwith Bridge, Ambleside and Grasmere, very nice... The next day we then tried to find Walna Scar Road without any maps, not much luck there, but what we did find was 1hr 30mins uphill... And 25 mins of pure class downhill :D . We were bunking up in Torver, couple of good pubs.
  • Grizdale has plenty scope for quality rides if the weather is poor. If the weather is reasonable, there are some superb rides, Seathwaite, Wallowbarrow Walna Sacr circuit, Garburn Pass or High Street to name a few.

South lakes there is more choice because there are more bridleways, north lakes you get big rides.

If you are into man made trials, look to Whinlatter (dont really recommend the North Face in Grizedale, it's OK but could be sooo much better, luckliy the natural trials in Grizedale are excellent)

Try here (clicky link) for ideas
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Around Ambleside area is best IMO - you've got access to Garbun, Grizedale etc. Walna Scar Road near Coniston is good. Ask in Biketreks Ambleside.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.