Middle aged Male Fantasy..

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited October 2008 in The bottom bracket
So I'm riding along this morning, approaching a 4 way junction with traffic lights. Check behind, nothing there (it's about 6.45am) and pull into the middle lane to go straight across. I'm going reasonably quickly (for me), and as I get close to the lights they change from green to amber. I have one of those "Blimey, I'll have to brake" moments, before deciding to go for it, eyeballs out so to speak. I belt across the junction, being gawped at by a dozen or so locals (as a 6 foot Gweilo in a cycle helmet I get a lot of that).

And then it happens. As my thighs are pumping and I'm across the junction, Mark Cavendish pops into my head. All of a sudden I AM Mark Cavendish, screaming aross the line to win another Tour stage..... :lol:

I resisted the urge to raise both hands, but did coast for 200m or so...
I'm 40 years old, for God's sake. I'll be buying a convertable next. Please kill me now.
Does this happen to anyone else?
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• pottssteve
    Oh I see, you like to watch, do you?

Come on, don't be shy....
  • pottssteve
    OK, so I'm the only one with Cavendish-sprint fantasies.

Or maybe you were expecting some sort of Mills and Boon confection involving Victoria Pendleton, a pound of jelly babies and a bicycle pump...?
  • Victoria Pendelton likes jelly babies?

good to know if I ever bump into her..'Hi - would you like some sweeties?'..ohh...maybe not then. :oops:
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I don't have the same thoughts. Mostly with that kind of thing I think "damn I wish bike had better brakes, crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppppp" as I just hope beyond hope.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    no

you should fantasize you just beaten Cav
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I've been lucky enough to holiday in the Alps a few summers and I do the same fantasy thing when climbing a col - I am Pantani out on my own taking minutes out of all comers. It does tend to go tits up when I get overtaken by elderly French women smoking gitanes riding shoppers.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    What's wrong with being 40........... :?
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Have a proper mid-life crisis, buy a red Italian convertible.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    fossyant wrote:
    What's wrong with being 40........... :?
    Dunno, I can't remember back that far... :wink:
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Kind of embarrassing...

I did a couple of runs up the Alpe this year. The second time was my birthday and it started snowing about halfway up. I thought about heading back to the chalet, but then I thought of the Lance training video and thought, "if he can do it, so can I".

I spent the rest of the climb giving everything balls to the wall whilst looking out for chubby Germans to give "the look" to.

Didn't find any Germans, but I did make it to the top in a blizzard.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey there,

I was practicing my sprinting one day, and as I was heading towards the speed limit sign on the edge of town, I had visions of Paolo Bettini on my wheel trying to take my €20k stage bonus away from me. I think I reached a new record crossing the line. He never tried it on again, and if Cav every comes anywhere near me I'll kick him into a ditch.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    guinea wrote:
    Kind of embarrassing...

I did a couple of runs up the Alpe this year. The second time was my birthday and it started snowing about halfway up. I thought about heading back to the chalet, but then I thought of the Lance training video and thought, "if he can do it, so can I".

I spent the rest of the climb giving everything balls to the wall whilst looking out for chubby Germans to give "the look" to.

Didn't find any Germans, but I did make it to the top in a blizzard.

:lol: Envy... :mrgreen:
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • I thought for a moment this thread was going to be about trebuchets and bubonic plague etc

:lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    Isn't amber just a lighter shade of red?

I commute about 150-200 miles per week on my fixie & i go full on most of the time, well when my 40 yr old heart & lungs permit, so when i encounter Mr Amber i tend to mash the pedals & go for it, unless there's a 40ft articulated lorry revving up at the other junction obviously !!

:)

"A little bit of pain never hurt anybody"
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    2044640574_13e96ee372.jpg

LmSLHRRF.jpg

One red convertible!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)